RJRocheteau

Default Getting a table's heading to say "continued" on the second page

I know how to select the first row in a table, containing my table heading or
title, and make it repeat on the next page, when the table overlaps the end
of the page.

How do I get Word to recognize that the table has spanned more than one page
and on the second and subsequent pages, repeat the Table Title but with the
word "CONTINUED", or "(Cont.)", or similar, appended to the end of the Table
Title.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There is no built-in way to do this. If you don't mind repeating the entire
heading followed by the continued line, add it to the repeating heading and
then, on the first page, cover it with an AutoShape or text box (no line and
white fill) anchored to a paragraph in the first row of the table.

"RJRocheteau" wrote in message
I know how to select the first row in a table, containing my table heading

or
title, and make it repeat on the next page, when the table overlaps the

end
of the page.

How do I get Word to recognize that the table has spanned more than one

page
and on the second and subsequent pages, repeat the Table Title but with

the
word "CONTINUED", or "(Cont.)", or similar, appended to the end of the

Table
Title.

Thanks in advance for any help.

RJRocheteau

Suzanne,
Thanks very much indeed for your nifty solution! I gave it a try and
found it works very well. Appreciate the simple and elegant solution. Took
me a little while to come to grips with anchoring the box in the
non-repeating row, but after that, it was a snap. Again, many thanks!

Jeff Rocheteau

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Credit MVP Terry Farrell for this one IIRC.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no built-in way to do this. If you don't mind repeating the

entire
heading followed by the continued line, add it to the repeating heading

and
then, on the first page, cover it with an AutoShape or text box (no line

and
white fill) anchored to a paragraph in the first row of the table.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"RJRocheteau" wrote in message
I know how to select the first row in a table, containing my table

heading
or
title, and make it repeat on the next page, when the table overlaps

the
end
of the page.

How do I get Word to recognize that the table has spanned more than

one
page
and on the second and subsequent pages, repeat the Table Title but

with
the
word "CONTINUED", or "(Cont.)", or similar, appended to the end of the

Table
Title.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
malhede

I also struggled with inserting a "table XX - continued" in my document! But
I think that i found a very good solution to the problem!
Insert a continous Section Break before and after the table in question.
Then You are able insert a Header with the words "table XX - continued" in
just that section containing the table... (You have to uncheck the button
"Link to previous" in the Header dialog box). After you inserted the header
You have to remove the header from the first page of the table (dont want
that page to display continued and do also remove the header from the page
just after the table... ) VOILA!
I guess this is the easy way to do it when Your tables are more than 3
pages...

Please note that section breaks interpheres with page numbering... it starts
at page 1 from every break you insert! This is solved by selecting "start
from previous" in the Page Number dialog box!