Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Artreid Artreid is offline

Default Word 2007 strange characters?

When I edit Word Documents I open up a document/Letter, etc, with all sorts
of weird characters in the document or letter. How do I edit a previously
created Word file and get it to look like a normal document like they did
with Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=923505 "How to install the
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack so that you can use earlier versions
of Excel, PowerPoint, and Word to open and to save files from 2007
Office programs".

Artreid wrote:

When I edit Word Documents I open up a document/Letter, etc, with all
sorts of weird characters in the document or letter. How do I edit a
previously created Word file and get it to look like a normal document
like they did
with Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Artreid Artreid is offline

In scanning this NG I guess my question should have been:

How do I hide Formatting Symbols when editing a Word 2007 file as they are
very confusing and I do not need to se them?

"Artreid" wrote in message
When I edit Word Documents I open up a document/Letter, etc, with all
sorts of weird characters in the document or letter. How do I edit a
previously created Word file and get it to look like a normal document
like they did
with Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Artreid Artreid is offline

Installing he compatibility pack did nothing I still see a bunch of sideways
(right pointing arrows) and also what looks like musical notes imbedded in
my document.

I really need to get ride of this junk in my files.

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

Artreid wrote:

When I edit Word Documents I open up a document/Letter, etc, with all
sorts of weird characters in the document or letter. How do I edit a
previously created Word file and get it to look like a normal document
like they did
with Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Artreid Artreid is offline

Okay,

After literally clicking on every button/icon there is I hit something that
looks like an upside down musical note (Show paragraph notes and other
hidden formatting symbols) and that removed this junk form my documents.

One problem solved and an other question:
- How/Where is the HELP Button in Office 2007 Word...

Artreid wrote:

When I edit Word Documents I open up a document/Letter, etc, with all
sorts of weird characters in the document or letter. How do I edit a
previously created Word file and get it to look like a normal document
like they did
with Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

Google is your friend:

"Show or hide formatting marks"
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100626161033

Daddy

"Artreid" wrote in message
When I edit Word Documents I open up a document/Letter, etc, with all
sorts of weird characters in the document or letter. How do I edit a
previously created Word file and get it to look like a normal document
like they did
with Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Little blue question mark in a circle near the upper right corner of the
Word window...

Artreid wrote:

One problem solved and an other question:
- How/Where is the HELP Button in Office 2007 Word...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scott McPhillips [MVP] Scott McPhillips [MVP] is offline

"Artreid" wrote in message
One problem solved and an other question:
- How/Where is the HELP Button in Office 2007 Word...

You can push the F1 key, or click on the blue circle that contains a ? mark
at the far right of the ribbon.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Artreid Artreid is offline

Thanks to all that responded. Hopefully, now that I know where/what/how to
get into Help I should never have to ask another question about Office 2007
:-) Seemed a lot easier in older versions when help was labeled Help...