Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alan Gillott Alan Gillott is offline

Default Do I really have to use keyboard Shortcuts to do things that used to be on the Menu?

I have run into issues using Word 2007 that need to be on the Wish list for
a new Word.
1) There a many things I cannot do any more using menus (the mouse). For
example, Insert field. For example I am expected to learn Alt Shift O to
insert a TC entry. Please can we have the Insert Field menu back - more to
the point, I should NEVER HAVE TO LEARN KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS. PLEASE!!!! It
took me 45 minutes to discover there was no obvious way of doing it with a
mouse!
2) I can no longer toggle formatting marks on and off on the fly: this is a
vital method of figuring out what idiotic thing the other guy did and a
quick way of looking at the likely final layout when, for example, inserting
TC entries (You notice a theme here?). Having to wander off to turn Word
Options on and off is irritating, and likely to leave my default setting
incorrect. This Needs to be somewhere in the View Ribbon.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think you're missing some things. The Show/Hide ¶ button is on the Home
tab (Paragraph group). Insert Field is still available through Insert | Text
| Quick Parts | Field. You can add either or both to the QAT via the
Customize dialog.

http://word.mvps.org

"Alan Gillott" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alan Gillott Alan Gillott is offline

Thanks Suzanne: as soon as I sent that I found the Show hide button.
Typical. I must admit that never in a month of Sundays would I have dreampt
of looking in something called quickparts!!! Can I invoke the nice little
Alt shift O dialog via the mouse? I'll see if I can do it under Insert
field: I must admit that the Word Help doesn't give you anything useful out
of search, or at least when I do search: my search keyword thinkerupper is
decidedly myopic and I spend hours thinking up keywords for computer help
systems, never the one actually needed. LOL.
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Alt+Shift+O is assigned to MarkTableoOfContentsEntry, so I looked for that
in Customize. I didn't find it exactly but did find two likely candidates
under All Commands: Mark Entry... and Mark Entry. The first opens the Mark
Index Entry dialog; the second is TOC-related, but, given the lack of
ellipsis, I would have expected it to just insert a TC field based on the
selected text rather than open the dialog. I tested it, however, and it does
do what you want. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a button icon, so you get
one more green ball.

[...]

normal keyboard keys are doing strange things Hilary Microsoft Word Help 6 September 20th 10 04:17 PM
Alt Key for Keyboard Shortcuts CJ Page Layout 2 November 4th 09 04:10 PM
Keyboard Shortcuts. Mark2006 New Users 1 May 15th 08 07:14 AM
Keyboard Shortcuts Hango Microsoft Word Help 3 March 8th 06 03:15 PM
Menu keyboard shortcuts Sharon Microsoft Word Help 6 November 29th 05 11:22 PM