Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BarrettBaum BarrettBaum is offline

Default A powerful intro...

whats up to all of you boys,
I stumbled on this terrific webpage. Am experiencing a bluish night of
the heart and soul and I wound up here. Look forward to reading through
every one of the info and articles.

--
BarrettBaum
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Welcome, but you are a bit late to the party as "Effective June 1, 2010 this
newsgroup will be closed." according to Microsoft.

Yves

"BarrettBaum" wrote in message

whats up to all of you boys,
I stumbled on this terrific webpage. Am experiencing a bluish night of
the heart and soul and I wound up here. Look forward to reading through
every one of the info and articles.

--
BarrettBaum

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I wonder? I am currently accessing this newsgroup by a third party, text
based usenet server (Eternal-September), and the OP appears to have accessed
the server via a link from officefrustration.com (about which I know
nothing, but which is one of many forums that piggy back on Usenet). Even if
Microsoft pulls the plug on its newsserver msnews.microsoft.com, this forum
will have a life of its own independently from Microsoft, and I wouldn't be
at all surprised if those countless hangers-on (like officefrustration.com)
will still be connected. Rather than gaining from the switch-off as
Microsoft expects, it could possibly lose from it? Google Groups for example
is probably big enough to ensure that it remains viable.

"Yves Dhondt" wrote in message

Welcome, but you are a bit late to the party as "Effective June 1, 2010
this newsgroup will be closed." according to Microsoft.

Yves

"BarrettBaum" wrote in message

whats up to all of you boys,
I stumbled on this terrific webpage. Am experiencing a bluish night of
the heart and soul and I wound up here. Look forward to reading through
every one of the info and articles.

--
BarrettBaum

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

That's what I'm hoping for.

I guess it is all up to the major NNTP service providers (GigaNews,
SuperNews, ...). They serve hundreds of local ISPs and mirroring forums. If
they decide to pull the plug on the newsgroups (on a request made by MS),
the groups will disappear pretty fast. Otherwise, I guess they will remain
up and running for a long time.

Yves

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I am not sure that they would take any notice of Microsoft. Microsoft I
suspect owns the server msnews.microsoft.com. I don't believe it owns the
groups, and it certainly doesn't own the material posted in them. I recall a
forum microsoft.public.word.general that Microsoft removed from its server
many years ago, that maintains an independent life (though it is not on the
text server I have been testing). Were Microsoft able to close down the
whole of Usenet aimed at its products, that would an act of corporate
vandalism on a huge scale.

The big difference will be that Microsoft will not longer link its help
forums to the Usenet world. Frankly it was a pain when it did so and has
been nothing but trouble - but it did ensure a steady supply of
contributions via those forums. Without that link, the traffic will
undoubtedly drop (and many corporates block NNTP access, so we will lose
those too). The problem is that only those of us who have been around for a
while are aware of the newsgroups. Microsoft does not give them any
publicity that I could easily find. Instead it will take its users to the
new forums, and the NNTP bridge they have provided will ensure that those of
us who haunt the newsgroups will be able to access the users who take that
change of direction ... if we can find them.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The incidence of microsoft.public.word.general is becoming less frequent and
with the majority of posts coming from , when
Microsoft shut down the newsgroups, there is then probably no way of them
being propagated to NNTP and with Microsoft making Windows Live Mail a
separate download/installation, there is no longer an NNTP newsreader
included with Windows.

Apart from the way that the NNTP bridge screws up some of the formatting
(op in place of a Chr(13) and sometimes to periods in pasted code where
there was only one in the VBE), it is not a bad way of accessing the forums.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

[...]

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

with Microsoft making Windows Live Mail a separate download/installation,
there is no longer an NNTP newsreader included with Windows.

I had heard this and so was a little surprised to find WLM installed on my
new Windows 7 laptop. I guess HP must have made it part of the OEM package.

http://word.mvps.org