mbwd mbwd is offline
Junior Member

Exclamation Some "Document Properties" in "Quick Parts" revert back to blank upon save

I have been using "Document Properties" from the "Quick Parts" menu for a while to create fields that automatically fill-in throughout a long document when I enter text into one of the fields. There are only 15 "Document Properties" (e.g., Abstract, Status, etc) available for this "trick," and I need them all.

But out of nowhere two of them stopped working properly. Specifically, "Manager" and "Company" work as expected until I hit save. At that point, Word erases the text in the Document Property box, and it reverts to it's default state.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I am at a complete loss. The weird part is I can create a new document, and use those two "Document Properties" and they will work! So maybe it has something to do with the document I am in, and that would suggest it is fixable. But how.....???

Alternatively, is there a way to create additional "Document Properties" that work like this -- that is, you can create a place to put text, copy that field, paste it into various places in the document, and then when you enter text into one of those places, it autofills the rest?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Some "Document Properties" in "Quick Parts" revert back to blank upon save

The document properties you are using make use of so-called mapped content
controls, which require that you save your document in the most recent file
format (*.docx). If you save in Word 97–2003 (*.doc) format, the properties
will be lost.

For instructions on creating your own mapped content controls, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_p..._controls.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mbwd" wrote in message

[...]

mbwd mbwd is offline
Junior Member

Thank you so much for your response. I will try to use the instructions in the link to create additional mapped content controls.

As for the saving and then reverting of the controls in my document, I am at a loss to explain it. I was saving a .docx document as a .docx document -- that is, just hitting the Save button or Cntrl-S. So it still seems very weird that two of the controls would just revert to blank. And more so because I can create the controls in another document, and they work. But I can't paste those working controls into my original document without having the same problem.

Oh well, hopefully with this new information I can create additional controls. Thanks again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
The document properties you are using make use of so-called mapped content
controls, which require that you save your document in the most recent file
format (*.docx). If you save in Word 97–2003 (*.doc) format, the properties
will be lost.

For instructions on creating your own mapped content controls, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_p..._controls.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Even if the document was in *.docx format, it could have been in
compatibility mode so that it didn't support newer features.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mbwd" wrote in message

Thank you so much for your response. I will try to use the instructions
in the link to create additional mapped content controls.

As for the saving and then reverting of the controls in my document, I
am at a loss to explain it. I was saving a .docx document as a .docx
document -- that is, just hitting the Save button or Cntrl-S. So it
still seems very weird that two of the controls would just revert to
blank. And more so because I can create the controls in another
document, and they work. But I can't paste those working controls into
my original document without having the same problem.

Oh well, hopefully with this new information I can create additional
controls. Thanks again!!!

;495597']The document properties you are using make use of so-called