Anne Gilmour

Default Formula in table - Creating a final total from sub-total cells

I have a table in a word 97 form. I have inserted simple addition and
multiplication calculations which total automatically and they have worked
successfully, giving subtotal amounts.
However, now I would like a final total at the bottom of the table. This
final total will come from the sub totals (which is a cell in every second
row, which already has a formula attached).
No matter what formula I put in, the final total still stays at zero and
will not update. The 'final total' cell is clicked to update on exit.
I'm using bookmarks to reference cells in the table and I want the cells to
update automatically. I think I'm probably just getting the formula wrong - I
would really appreciate your help.
macropod

hi Anne,

For your totals, you don't need another form field. What you need is a
formula field, in the form of:
{=a2+a4+a6+a8}
where 'a' defines the column in your table, and 2,4,6,8 etc define the row
numbers to be added.

Alternatively, you could use the formfield bookmarks, as in:
{={text1}+{text2}+{text3}+{text4}}

Having 'calculate on exit checked for the other formfields should be
sufficient to cause the total to re-calculate whenever any of its components
change.

Cheers
PS: The field braces for the formula are created via Ctrl-F9.

"Anne Gilmour" Anne wrote in message
news
I have a table in a word 97 form. I have inserted simple addition and
multiplication calculations which total automatically and they have worked
successfully, giving subtotal amounts.
However, now I would like a final total at the bottom of the table. This
final total will come from the sub totals (which is a cell in every second
row, which already has a formula attached).
No matter what formula I put in, the final total still stays at zero and
will not update. The 'final total' cell is clicked to update on exit.
I'm using bookmarks to reference cells in the table and I want the cells

update automatically. I think I'm probably just getting the formula

wrong - I
would really appreciate your help.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (