Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maggs maggs is offline

Default Endnotes start at 1 but: Start At must be between 1 and 16838.

When trying to insert a footnote or endnote, a message comes up saying that
the Start At number must be between 1 and 16838. The Start number is 1.
Somebody please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

This sounds like some form of document corruption.

Try copying the contents, except the final paragraph mark, into a
newly created document. To see the paragraph marks (¶), click the ¶
button on the Standard toolbar.

For more, see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"maggs" wrote in message
When trying to insert a footnote or endnote, a message comes up
saying that the Start At number must be between 1 and 16838. The
Start number is 1. Somebody please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maggs maggs is offline

Thanks Stefan. I tried your suggestion, and the suggestions from the link
you posted, but it is still doing it. It seems to be OK until I delete the
section breaks in the doc.(there are 247 of them in a 219 page document!) But
I have to delete them in order to have breaks only at the end of chapters, so
the footnote numbering starts at 1 again for every chapter.

Any more ideas?

"maggs" wrote:

When trying to insert a footnote or endnote, a message comes up saying that
the Start At number must be between 1 and 16838. The Start number is 1.
Somebody please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Did you try to delete the section breaks before copying into a new
document, and then recreate them in the "repaired" document?

By the way, why do you need so many section breaks?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"maggs" wrote:

When trying to insert a footnote or endnote, a message comes up

saying that
the Start At number must be between 1 and 16838. The Start number

is 1.
Somebody please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maggs maggs is offline

Hi Stefan,

I don't need that many section breaks - it's actually someone else's
document that I am editing for them. I don't know why they put all those
sections breaks in!

Anyway, I finally managed to fix the document by following your advice -
taking the final paragraph mark out when I copied it into a new document, so
THANK YOU very much!!! It was a great relief. I don't know why it didn't work
the first few times I tried it - maybe I was so stressed out that I was doing
it wrong...!

"maggs" wrote:

When trying to insert a footnote or endnote, a message comes up

saying that
the Start At number must be between 1 and 16838. The Start number

is 1.
Somebody please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline