Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Default Dratted small i!

Yes, it's me on my hobby-horse again!

I've been around a few other newsgroups and again note that nearly all of
them are infinitely more trivial and/or foul-mouthed and/or full of flamers
than the Word ones.

But the tendency to use small i when a capital should be used is especially
prevalent here. I wonder why, since you'd expect Word users to be more
literate...

Sigh... It's going to be a tense morning. Just got a manuscript to edit that
can't make up its mind whether it is, was or will be...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Willett Tom Willett is offline

Just because people use Word doesn't make them literate.

"aalaan" wrote in message
| Yes, it's me on my hobby-horse again!
|
| I've been around a few other newsgroups and again note that nearly all of
| them are infinitely more trivial and/or foul-mouthed and/or full of
flamers
| than the Word ones.
|
| But the tendency to use small i when a capital should be used is
especially
| prevalent here. I wonder why, since you'd expect Word users to be more
| literate...
|
| Sigh... It's going to be a tense morning. Just got a manuscript to edit
that
| can't make up its mind whether it is, was or will be...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Just because people post here doesn't make them Word or writing experts.

"aalaan" wrote in message
| Yes, it's me on my hobby-horse again!
|
| I've been around a few other newsgroups and again note that nearly all
of
| them are infinitely more trivial and/or foul-mouthed and/or full of
flamers
| than the Word ones.
|
| But the tendency to use small i when a capital should be used is
especially
| prevalent here. I wonder why, since you'd expect Word users to be more
| literate...
|
| Sigh... It's going to be a tense morning. Just got a manuscript to edit
that
| can't make up its mind whether it is, was or will be...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Actually, it's probably worse among Word users, who are likely so used to
Word capitalizing "i" automatically that they really never use the shift
key.

I mean, don't think I capitalize "i"--I'm just posting with a newsreader
that does it automatically.

DM

On 10/19/06 12:19 PM, "aalaan" wrote:

Yes, it's me on my hobby-horse again!

I've been around a few other newsgroups and again note that nearly all of
them are infinitely more trivial and/or foul-mouthed and/or full of flamers
than the Word ones.

But the tendency to use small i when a capital should be used is especially
prevalent here. I wonder why, since you'd expect Word users to be more
literate...

Sigh... It's going to be a tense morning. Just got a manuscript to edit that
can't make up its mind whether it is, was or will be...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TedMi TedMi is offline

On the other hand, I HATE it when Word capitalizes a one-word "i" - it means
"and" in Polish, and (except in all-caps titles) is written in lower-case.
--
Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Tools | AutoCorrect, delete it from the list of AutoCorrect entries.

Except, if your language is tagged as Polish, this shouldn't be in the
AutoCorrect list at all, I would think. AutoCorrect is language dependent,
so you should be able to have this on for English and off for Polish.

On 10/19/06 5:33 PM, "TedMi" wrote:

On the other hand, I HATE it when Word capitalizes a one-word "i" - it means
"and" in Polish, and (except in all-caps titles) is written in lower-case.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/