Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Mark is offline

Default Mial merge Office 2007/Outlook

I am trying to mail merge from Outlook 2007Word 2007. I would really like to
use categories,m but it doesn't seem to do that. I have to take all contacts
then keep Outlook open to see the sorted list then manually select those I
want.

But the bigger problem is that I can select the contacts I want, but it
doesn't pull any actual data. When I try to update labels all I get is a full
page of next record

If I select Create labels from the tool bar all I get is a blank dialog,
there is no data for me to select to format or print. If I go back to Edit
recipient list all the contacts I selected are still there.

What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

Mark wrote:
I am trying to mail merge from Outlook 2007Word 2007. I would really
like to use categories,m but it doesn't seem to do that. I have to
take all contacts then keep Outlook open to see the sorted list then
manually select those I want.

But the bigger problem is that I can select the contacts I want, but
it doesn't pull any actual data. When I try to update labels all I
get is a full page of next record

If I select Create labels from the tool bar all I get is a blank
dialog, there is no data for me to select to format or print. If I go
back to Edit recipient list all the contacts I selected are still
there.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Mark is offline

Thanks for that reply. I'm sure it will work.

I can't fathom how you have to do all that just to print a stinking label
from Outlook though?

If I want to print maybe 5 labels it would take me much longer than just
writing them out by hand.

Why not just have a way to print a label form Outlook?

Sorry to rant, thanks for your help Graham.

Mark wrote:
I am trying to mail merge from Outlook 2007Word 2007. I would really
like to use categories,m but it doesn't seem to do that. I have to
take all contacts then keep Outlook open to see the sorted list then
manually select those I want.

But the bigger problem is that I can select the contacts I want, but
it doesn't pull any actual data. When I try to update labels all I
get is a full page of next record

If I select Create labels from the tool bar all I get is a blank
dialog, there is no data for me to select to format or print. If I go
back to Edit recipient list all the contacts I selected are still
there.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The explanation is much longer than the action - which is why I posted the
links rather than explain it all over again
Whether it is possible to create a label form in Outlook, I don't know. It
would seem to be a sensible idea - but this forum is about mail merge in
Word. Ask in the Outlook forum

Mark wrote:
I am trying to mail merge from Outlook 2007Word 2007. I would
really like to use categories,m but it doesn't seem to do that. I
have to take all contacts then keep Outlook open to see the sorted
list then manually select those I want.

But the bigger problem is that I can select the contacts I want, but
it doesn't pull any actual data. When I try to update labels all I
get is a full page of next record

If I select Create labels from the tool bar all I get is a blank
dialog, there is no data for me to select to format or print. If I
there.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Mark is offline

I did post it there.

I 'could' mail merge, and from the other forum they suggested that was the
only option. That's why I tried to do it using Word.

I just posted a suggestion over there for this feature. Usually I only need
to print a few labels and to go through all the steps to do a merge would
take longer than to just use a typewriter to do them by hand.

Mark wrote:
I am trying to mail merge from Outlook 2007Word 2007. I would
really like to use categories,m but it doesn't seem to do that. I
have to take all contacts then keep Outlook open to see the sorted
list then manually select those I want.

But the bigger problem is that I can select the contacts I want, but
it doesn't pull any actual data. When I try to update labels all I
get is a full page of next record

If I select Create labels from the tool bar all I get is a blank
dialog, there is no data for me to select to format or print. If I
there.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you only have a few labels - less than a sheet - use the Envelope/Label
tool to create a new document and enter the content in the table cells.
Merging from Outlook is still quicker (especially if you use the same
pre-configured label document to merge.).

Mark wrote:
I am trying to mail merge from Outlook 2007Word 2007. I would
really like to use categories,m but it doesn't seem to do that. I
have to take all contacts then keep Outlook open to see the sorted
list then manually select those I want.

But the bigger problem is that I can select the contacts I want,
but it doesn't pull any actual data. When I try to update labels
all I get is a full page of next record

If I select Create labels from the tool bar all I get is a blank
dialog, there is no data for me to select to format or print. If I
still there.

What am I doing wrong?