Trainload of Fools Trainload of Fools is offline
Junior Member

Default Multiple documents causing Word to shut down

Hi all.

Running Office 2003 Standard on Windows XP Home.

When I have multiple Word documents open and minimised, I find that Word will shut down without warning if I attempt to maximise one (either by the taskbar or Alt+Tab). I get no error message after. Unsaved work must be salvaged from recovered files.

This only happens with two or more documents open, and it doesn't matter what documents they are, their contents, or how big they are. The only exception is when both of them are empty, new documents.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. Any help would be appreciated.

I am submitting a support request to Microsoft, but it keeps failing at the moment, so I will try them again later.

Any ideas?
Herb Tyson [MVP]

This sounds like a corruption issue - normal.dot, some other template(s) or
global add-in, or registry entries.

If you start Word in Safe mode, does it still happen? To start Word in safe
mode, hold down the Ctrl key when starting Word, and keep it depressed until
Word appears on the task bar. Then, click Yes to starting in Safe mode.

If everything works okay in safe mode, then it's likely a corruption issue
of some kind. Take a look here for how to diagnose/treat:

http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm

If starting in safe mode doesn't fix the problem, then it might be an
installation issue. From the menu, choose Help -Detect and Repair, and see
if that brings relief.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com