Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rhino

Default Clip Organizer questions

I just used the Clip Organizer in Word 2002 for the first time and it built
a collection of multimedia clips from my hard drive. Did it make new copies
of these clips for use by Word or did it just save links or references of
some kind to the existing clips? Or did it actually move these clips from
their previous locations to the new location?

If it made new copies, what specific directory now holds the clips?

My C: drive, which had over 200 MB of free space on it before I created the
collection of my own multimedia clips now has barely over 100 MB so I
strongly suspect that the clip organizer either copied the clips to
somewhere on the C: drive or MOVED clips from their previous location to the
C: drive somewhere.

How can I put things back to the way they were? If my existing clips were
copied, I'd be inclined to delete the new copies but if the existing clips
were moved, deleting them would lose them and I don't want to do that.

--
Rhino

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Sauer

The Organizer doesn't create new folders, it only catalogs what is already on
your hard drive. It will create thumbnails. You can turn off caching of
thumbnails, control panel, folder options, view tab, clear Do not cache
thumbnails.

You can clear the Organizer of the clips by changing the name of your
mstore0.mgc to mstore10.old. It is in a folder similar to this (hidden).
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\Clip Organizer

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/