Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ozzie6616 Ozzie6616 is offline

Default Issues with Outline Numbering in the Headers

I'm experiencing an issue with outline numbering in the Headers of a
document. What I'm trying to do is set up a document with the chapters shown
in the headers of each section. I did this by setting up numbering styles in
the header. However now I'm getting this issue were I'm working on the third
section of the document, and instead of number this section 3 word skips it
and goes to 4. I cannot figure out what is going on or how to correct this
problem.

I would appreciate anybody's help on this.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A frequent reason for a skipped outline number is that an empty paragraph
somewhere has been given the style that's being counted.

Are you saying that your chapter headings only appear in the header of your
document?

PamC

Ozzie6616 wrote:
I'm experiencing an issue with outline numbering in the Headers of a
document. What I'm trying to do is set up a document with the chapters shown
in the headers of each section. I did this by setting up numbering styles in
the header. However now I'm getting this issue were I'm working on the third
section of the document, and instead of number this section 3 word skips it
and goes to 4. I cannot figure out what is going on or how to correct this
problem.

I would appreciate anybody's help on this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There must be an extra Section Break in there somewhere -- the easiest
way to locate it is to switch to Normal (Draft) View, when they show
up as double lines across the page.

On Feb 20, 2:52*pm, Ozzie6616
wrote:
I'm experiencing an issue with outline numbering in the Headers of a
document. *What I'm trying to do is set up a document with the chapters shown
in the headers of each section. *I did this by setting up numbering styles in
the header. *However now I'm getting this issue were I'm working on the third
section of the document, and instead of number this section 3 word skips it
and goes to 4. *I cannot figure out what is going on or how to correct this
problem.

I would appreciate anybody's help on this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ozzie6616 Ozzie6616 is offline

There was an extra section break. But now I have numbering within the body of
the text that follows the header. Basically if the header is 3, then the
next item within the body will have to be 3.1. But now word will not
continue the number on to three, instead it continues the numbering from the
previous section.

wrote:
I'm experiencing an issue with outline numbering in the Headers of a
document. What I'm trying to do is set up a document with the chapters shown
in the headers of each section. I did this by setting up numbering styles in
the header. However now I'm getting this issue were I'm working on the third
section of the document, and instead of number this section 3 word skips it
and goes to 4. I cannot figure out what is going on or how to correct this
problem.

I would appreciate anybody's help on this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You haven't said which version of Word you are using so ... however you get
to the right dialog box, make sure numbering level 2 is set to restart after
numbering level 1.

BTW, if you still want to have the chapter heading in the headers as reader
guides, you can use a StyleRef field.
PamC

Ozzie6616 wrote:
There was an extra section break. But now I have numbering within the body of
the text that follows the header. Basically if the header is 3, then the
next item within the body will have to be 3.1. But now word will not
continue the number on to three, instead it continues the numbering from the
previous section.

There must be an extra Section Break in there somewhere -- the easiest
way to locate it is to switch to Normal (Draft) View, when they show

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

I would appreciate anybody's help on this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't follow ...

Are the numbered paragraphs (that are supposed to bear the top-level
outline numbers) actually in the headers? (Does that actually work?)

Wouldn't it make more sense to use outline-numbered headings, and put
the numbers into the headers via a STYLEREF field?