Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brenda Brenda is offline

Default how do you find the cursor when moving around in a large word doc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I find that the easiest way is usually to press the spacebar. This will call
Word to revert to the page where the insertion point is currently located.
Once you find your place, backspace to remove the unnecessary space. (You
could equally well press the right or left arrow key instead of the
spacebar, I imagine.)

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix Gordon Bentley-Mix is offline

Default how do you find the cursor when moving around in a large word

Brenda,

You could also write a simple macro that would bring the current selection
point into view again. Something like:

Sub FindTheCursor()
ActiveWindow.ScrollIntoView Selection.Range
End Sub

This could then be tied to a keyboard shortcut or even a toolbar button for
ease of use.

If you're unsure of how to create and employ a macro, post back and we'll
give you some links to a few articles to get you started.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Uninvited email contact will be marked as SPAM and ignored. Please post all
follow-ups to the newsgroup.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I find that the easiest way is usually to press the spacebar. This will call
Word to revert to the page where the insertion point is currently located.
Once you find your place, backspace to remove the unnecessary space. (You
could equally well press the right or left arrow key instead of the
spacebar, I imagine.)

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR Hester JR Hester is offline

Thanks for the tip about the spacebar,taht saved the day. I had always used
the left/right arrow combination in earlier versions. I found to my dismay,
as I was testing my teaching material for 2007, that this sequence no longer
works.

FYI:
In 2007, pressing any arrow key following a scroll moves the IP to the
currently displayed page, although the position on page seems to be random.

If you find any rhyme or reason to positioning after arrow key depression
please advise.

Thanks again for the tip!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I find that the easiest way is usually to press the spacebar. This will call
Word to revert to the page where the insertion point is currently located.
Once you find your place, backspace to remove the unnecessary space. (You
could equally well press the right or left arrow key instead of the
spacebar, I imagine.)

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oh, that is insidious. Thanks for the warning! And no, I can't see any good
reason for that. But I believe there is actually an Options setting that
governs this both in Word 2007 and in earlier versions. In Word 2003 I
believe it's Tools | Options | Edit: Use smart cursoring (which I have
disabled). I see that I have it enabled in Word 2007, which suggests that it
is probably enabled by default and I haven't gotten around to disabling it.
It's located at Office Button | Word Options | Advanced: Editing options.

Follow-up: Based on a test in both versions, that seems to be the culprit,
all right.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I find that the easiest way is usually to press the spacebar. This will
call
Word to revert to the page where the insertion point is currently
located.
Once you find your place, backspace to remove the unnecessary space. (You
could equally well press the right or left arrow key instead of the
spacebar, I imagine.)

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To locate your cursor without making a change in your document (such
as Space + Delete), press & hold Shift-Left Arrow, and not only will
the screen go to the proper location, but you'll also get a growing
highlighted area that's easier to spot than the measly little cursor.

(You have to turn off the option Suzanne mentioned, but then that's a
Bad Thing anyway.)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I find that the easiest way is usually to press the spacebar. This will call
Word to revert to the page where the insertion point is currently located.
Once you find your place, backspace to remove the unnecessary space. (You
could equally well press the right or left arrow key instead of the
spacebar, I imagine.)

http://word.mvps.org

"Brenda" wrote in message
...-