Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Highlighting an entire page (or more) in one step.

D'oh, that's not right! You don't need to Shift while dragging. You
just need to Shift before you click the endpoint. when you get there
by some means other than dragging.

On Feb 22, 12:11*pm, grammatim wrote:
Note that you only need to hold down Shift if you're dragging from
starting point to ending point -- if you navigate with the scroll bars/
mouse wheel, you don't need to Shift until you're ready to click on
the endpoint.

On Feb 21, 11:06*pm, Highlighter

wrote:
Thank you for your kind reply. If you have seen the other posts, the simple
one that I needed was to left click the start point with the mouse, holding
down "Shift", go to the end of the selection (scroll bar, mouse wheel or
down-arrow) and left click the mouse again. I did record your answer as a
viable alternative, but I wonder if the cut/paste options would work as well
as the type-any-character option that you suggested, as a shorter step to
move the selected material to the desired site rather than jumping about
some. I appreciate your help. * *"Highlighter"

"Jay Freedman" wrote:
It's even more flexible than that. Press F8 once to turn on extended
selection mode (or double-click the letters EXT in the status bar in Word
2003 or earlier). Then you can do any of these:

- Use the scroll bar or the mouse wheel to bring the end of the desired
selection into view and left-click there. If you aren't happy with the
selected spot, click again somewhere else. You can also use the arrow and
Page Up/Down keys. Press the Esc key to get out of extended mode.

- Type any character. The end of the selection will jump to the next
occurrence of that character. Press it again, multiple times, until you get
to the desired occurrence, then press Esc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

JoAnn Paules wrote:
Hit F8 twice to select a word, three times to select a sentence, four
times to select a paragraph, and five times to select a section.

"Highlighter" wrote in message
Not having used the technique for a while, I have forgotten how to
highlight
an entire page of material (or more) for transfer, deletion, etc. I
am aware
of the technique of simply highlighting the first line and moving the
mouse
down to include all chosen material. However, especially for longer
contents
or multiple pages, this is not the most effective technique. I seem
to recall
in much older versions of WORD, a quicker technique whereby the first
letter
or word of the exerpt was somehow highlighted and one proceeded
promptly to
the end of the exerpt and hit some key thereby marking the borders
of the text to be highlighted for whatever purpose. Sound familiar
at all? I am using WORD that came with Windows XP Professional 2002.
Is the technique (or
a similar one) present there? Please advise in detail. Thank you.--