Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DocuGuy DocuGuy is offline

Default quotes linked to original context

I have a long transcript of conversation.

I want to collect quotes from it and have each quote hyperlinked back to
where the quote appears in the original sequence. Essentially "click on quote
to see it in context."

I'll have dozens or hundreds of quotes, so I need a SIMPLE/quick/macro way
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sninkle Sninkle is offline

It sounds like what you are looking for is Cross-reference, if you go to the
Insert Menu and then Reference it will be found there. It will do what you
are looking for. For more info on it I suggest searching Word Help for
Cross-reference
--
Carrie

"DocuGuy" wrote:

I have a long transcript of conversation.

I want to collect quotes from it and have each quote hyperlinked back to
where the quote appears in the original sequence. Essentially "click on quote
to see it in context."

I'll have dozens or hundreds of quotes, so I need a SIMPLE/quick/macro way
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Select the text for each quote you're going to excerpt; go to Insert
Bookmark; give the bookmark a name you can remember.

In the place where you want the excerpt to appear, go to the place to
insert cross references (different in different versions of Word),
choose the bookmark for that excerpt, choose "Bookmark text" as what
to insert, and be sure the box "Insert as hyperlink" is checked. Then
when you mouse over the quote, you'll get a box telling you to Ctrl-
Click to go to its source.

If you also want a page reference to that spot to show, insert another
copy of the bookmark next to the one showing the excerpt, but instead
of "Bookmark text," choose "Page number."

On Feb 20, 1:30*pm, DocuGuy wrote:
I have a long transcript of conversation.

I want to collect quotes from it and have each quote hyperlinked back to
where the quote appears in the original sequence. Essentially "click on quote
to see it in context."

I'll have dozens or hundreds of quotes, so I need a SIMPLE/quick/macro way
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DocuGuy DocuGuy is offline

Superb!

After playing w this in Word 2007, it is even easier!

Open doc 1
Select quote
Open doc 2
paste as hyperlink

Word is auto-naming anything I copy as a bookmark (I assume that happens
when it 'realizes' I want it hyperlinked.)

"grammatim" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oh. You didn't say they were in a different document. I wouldn't know
how to do that.

Do they show up in References Cross Reference under "Bookmarks"? If
you didn't name them, how does it identify them?