Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SL Forst SL Forst is offline

Default Display all previously accepted tracked changes of a word doc....

Hello,
I am wondering if there is a way (or multiple ways) to take a document that
has had multiple changes completed with tracking on and view the tracked
changes over the life of the document after they have been accepted.

This would include seeing the deletions/additions that have been accepted at
various points over a year or more, etc.

S.Forst
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

You could use a version control system such as Microsoft's VSS to keep
various versions of the document, but once you accept changes you've done
exactly that: you've accepted the changes as a permanent change to the
document.

Dan

SL Forst wrote:
Hello,
I am wondering if there is a way (or multiple ways) to take a
document that has had multiple changes completed with tracking on and
view the tracked changes over the life of the document after they
have been accepted.

This would include seeing the deletions/additions that have been
accepted at various points over a year or more, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SL Forst SL Forst is offline

Hi,
That was what I had thought as well. If that is the case, then why was
Microsoft Tracked Hidden Tool created?

I referred to the site that had been posted as a reply to other questions:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac....html#Security
This site discusses metadata - how do I access the metadata in a word
document? Even with the existance of this metadata that keeps a history of
changes that have occured to a document, after the changes have been accepted
they are permanent?

Thank-you for taking the time to help me to work through this.
--
S.Forst

SL Forst wrote:
Hello,
I am wondering if there is a way (or multiple ways) to take a
document that has had multiple changes completed with tracking on and
view the tracked changes over the life of the document after they
have been accepted.

This would include seeing the deletions/additions that have been
accepted at various points over a year or more, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

Sorry. You've gone beyond what I know.

I know that Word's "track changes" feature is intended to track "current
state" of the document. If you need to track "current state" over time and
after accepting changes, across multiple "current state" situations, you
need more than what Word can natively provide.

But if you're already hooked into Shauna's site, you're miles ahead of most
users. You've already got one of the best resources.

Dan

SL Forst wrote:
Hello,
I am wondering if there is a way (or multiple ways) to take a
document that has had multiple changes completed with tracking on
and view the tracked changes over the life of the document after
they have been accepted.

This would include seeing the deletions/additions that have been
accepted at various points over a year or more, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SL Forst SL Forst is offline

Thank-you Dan and Suzanne for your time and efforts.

You have answered my general question about whether the previously accepted
changes are retained somewhere within a document for viewing and I will be
sure to refer to Shauna's site to learn more.

I am still uncertain as to why the "Microsoft Tracked Hidden Tool" was
created if the document does not retain any of this history...but I will have
to look into what the tool actually does a little bit more than I have.

Thanks so much for your help and have a great day!
Sherri-Lyn Forst

--
S.Forst

SL Forst wrote:
Hello,
I am wondering if there is a way (or multiple ways) to take a
document that has had multiple changes completed with tracking on and
view the tracked changes over the life of the document after they
have been accepted.

This would include seeing the deletions/additions that have been
accepted at various points over a year or more, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Remove Hidden Data utility (which I guess is what you're referring to)
was intended for more than tracked changes; I believe it removes "metadata"
from the document properties as well. This can be accomplished in Word 2003
by checking the appropriate option on the Security tab of Tools | Options.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Word does *not* keep track of changes after they're accepted.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.