Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
srlinder srlinder is offline

Default Outline Numbering

I'm having trouble with Word 2007 and its outline numbering functionality.

I start out with Heading-1, followed by Heading-2, followed by Heading-3 and
it winds up looking like this:
1.0 This is Header-1
1.1 This is Header-2
1.1.1 This is Header-3

1.2 This is Header-2
1.1.2 This is Header-3
1.1.3 This is Header-3

1.3 This is Header-2
1.1.4 This is Header-3
1.1.5 This is Header-3

when it should look like this:
1.0 This is Header-1
1.1 This is Header-2
1.1.1 This is Header-3

1.2 This is Header-2
1.2.1 This is Header-3
1.2.2 This is Header-3

1.3 This is Header-2
1.3.1 This is Header-3
1.3.2 This is Header-3

I tried the "restart numbering" and "Set Numbering Value" options but all it
does is either not work or it screws up the rest of the numbering in my
document. I know I'm using the default Header-3 because when I try to modify
it, it blocks me and warns that this is a default header.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I've been tearing my hair out!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BoniM BoniM is offline

Reset numbering will make it start over with 1.1 each time. You need to
change the setting for the entire outline to continue numbering. Probably
the easiest way to fix it would be to select the entire list and click the
numbering button-if that doesn't fix it, click it again to turn it off, and
click the outline numbering button to turn it back on. Should then number
from the beginning correctly.

"srlinder" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
srlinder srlinder is offline

Try as I might, I could not get the "Preview" to follow what I was doing in
the "Number format" boxes. It seemed no matter what I tried I was being
blocked at every turn!

However, whilst waiting for a response, I checked out the Microsoft training
area and stumbled across a discussion of "Lists". I followed the practice
session on a new (blank) document and noted how the list was generated, then
indented later. I applied my newfound knowledge to my original document and,
thank goodness, am no longer tearing my hair out. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my original post.
Sam....