Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
M.Siler M.Siler is offline

Default How to add the file name and path to the header or footer in Word

I found this artilce from MS on how to do it with Word 2003, but I can't
find how to do it in Word 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310523

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Basically it is the same but you find the filename/path field in a different
place. Look on the Insert Ribbon and click on Footer (or Header). Once you
have are in a Header or Footer, the Design Ribbon will appear. Select Quick
Parts and look add the fields required for Filename with the path switch.
Once it is inserted, you can select it and create your own Quick Part for
future quick insertion.

See Help on Quick Parts for more information.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"M.Siler" wrote in message
I found this artilce from MS on how to do it with Word 2003, but I can't
find how to do it in Word 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310523

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
M.Siler M.Siler is offline

Thanks Terry... and for anyone else looking for help with 2003 to 2007
commands take a look he

http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...HA100744321033

"M.Siler" wrote in message
I found this artilce from MS on how to do it with Word 2003, but I can't
find how to do it in Word 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310523

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

If you are interested in a template that contains a Building Block with the
filename and path for the Header and Footer gallery, here's a template I
created for this:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...002841033.aspx

It contains instructions for how to copy the Building Blocks for use in any
document. Note that this is the first time I've tried something like this,
providing a solution using the Community-Submitted templates, so if you do
try it I'd like to know how well it worked out for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"M.Siler" wrote in message
I found this artilce from MS on how to do it with Word 2003, but I can't
find how to do it in Word 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310523

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Beth,

There's a typo in your link It should be
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...002891033.aspx
to keep from the 'template not found' page coming up g instead of the "Filename and Path Header and Footer Building Blocks" one

Bob ?:-)
===============
"Beth Melton" wrote in message ...
If you are interested in a template that contains a Building Block with the
filename and path for the Header and Footer gallery, here's a template I
created for this:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...002841033.aspx [snip]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Thanks for the correction, Bob. :-)

I posted the link a little too soon, I saw it was there but later I tried
downloading it and I kept getting an error. So I removed it and uploaded it
again which assigned another link. The one thing I don't like about the
Community Submitted templates is you need to wait almost 48 hours before it
appears. I understand why, but it would be nice to be able to test it prior
to that.

Now, for some reason, the Building Blocks aren't in the template so I'm
trying again...

It would be nice to be able to submit Building Blocks and add them to the
Building Blocks category but it doesn't look like that's available yet -
I'll have to ask.

I have noticed a general issue with Building Blocks in general, Microsoft's
and those in the template I added, since another Word session ends up being
started after you download a template, if you access a gallery that contains
Building Blocks which opens Building Blocks.dotx you encounter an "In Use"
error. :-( (I need to report this as well.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Beth,

There's a typo in your link It should be
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...002891033.aspx
to keep from the 'template not found' page coming up g instead of the
"Filename and Path Header and Footer Building Blocks" one

Bob ?:-)
===============
"Beth Melton" wrote in message
If you are interested in a template that contains a Building Block with
the
filename and path for the Header and Footer gallery, here's a template I
created for this:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...002841033.aspx [snip]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Beth,

I was going to mention the 'in use' issue to you There are a couple of other oddities that can change the way things work with
that template.

I don't know if it's a security feature on the template site or in the downloader, that may be removing active content, but items
such as the Professional Fax Cover page (the one with the macro button checkboxes) don't include the macros if you download them, so
the macro buttons are sort of unusable without recreating the macros.

===============
[...]

MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Unfortunately the "in use" issue also applies to Building Blocks Microsoft
created that are available for download. Previously the instructions for
using Building Blocks were to restart Word to make them available since it
just copied the template and placed it in the Building Blocks folder, which
worked well so I'm not sure why they changed the behavior but I've asked
about it.

The resubmitted template is still processing so I can't check to see if it's
stripping content or not just yet. But my main reason for adding them was to
see how well the Community Submitted templates functionality works and I've
decided it could use some improvement. ;-)