Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dbdon dbdon is offline

Default When I open .doc on other computer, font becomes Malandra-was TNew

I have a Word file that has images but most of the text is in Times New
Roman. I e-mailed it to another computer and when opened there, most of the
text displays in Malandra, an unintelligible (to me) font. I checked the
versions of Word on the two computers and they are the same. I even copied
the .doc to a CD-R, took it to the other computer, opened the file on CD-R,
and it still displayed in Malandra. What is going on? Is there a bug in
Word on the second system and not on the first? I need the document to
display (and print) the same way on all computers to which it is sent, that
have the proper versions of Word. Please help!

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

D. W. Cameron

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The document cannot actually be displayed in Maiandra unless the font is
installed on the computer, and it is highly unlikely that Maiandra would be
substituted for Times New Roman (the reverse is quite possible). The font
box in a document displays the font that is applied to the text at the
insertion point, not the font that is actually being displayed. If you go to
Tools | Options | Compatibility and click on Font Substitution, you will get
more information about this.

Maiandra GD (with bold and italic variants) was supplied with Access 97 SR2,
Greetings 99, Home Publishing 99, Office 2000 Premium, Office 2007, Office
2007 Professional Edition, Office 97 Small Business Edition SR2, Office 97
SR1a, Office Professional Edition 2003, PhotoDraw 2000, Picture It! 2000,
Picture It! 2002, Picture It! 98, Publisher 2000, Publisher 2007, Publisher
97, Publisher 98, Works 9, so if you have any of those applications, you
should have the font.

If you want a document to be displayed the same on all computers, your best
option is to convert it to PDF.