Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
briank briank is offline

Default Hiding Headers Before Section Break

My document uses headers that are associated with the Table of Contents. I
have several pages of information including cover sheet and TOC (and others)
which are then followed by a section break. The pages after the section
break utilize the headers which is exactly what I want. However, it is the
pre-section break headers that I would like to either hide or ideally
eliminate. My work around it currently to insert a blank text box over these
headers but everytime I update my document (F9) these text boxes disappear
(where? I don't know) and I have to do it all over again. Is there a better
way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

briank wrote:
My document uses headers that are associated with the Table of
Contents. I have several pages of information including cover sheet
and TOC (and others) which are then followed by a section break. The
pages after the section break utilize the headers which is exactly
what I want. However, it is the pre-section break headers that I
would like to either hide or ideally eliminate. My work around it
currently to insert a blank text box over these headers but everytime
I update my document (F9) these text boxes disappear (where? I don't
know) and I have to do it all over again. Is there a better way to
do this?

Insert a bookmark to cover the part of the document from which you want the
headers to be included. Use a \b switch in the TOC field to specify that it
should pull its entries only from the bookmarked area.

See "A partial table of contents" in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...OCSwitches.htm for details.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
briank briank is offline

Thanks for the info. Can you clarify a few points? After the creation of a
bookmark (named AllChapters) is the /b entered in the header at any random
spot in the document or in the header section in my TOC?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

briank wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The /b switch is included in the TOC field. Another way to omit certain
headings from a TOC is to use a different style for them. For example, I use
a style called TOC Head for the Contents heading. It is formatted to look
just like Heading 1 (but is not based on Heading 1) and has an outline level
of Body Text so that it will not be included in the TOC.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

briank wrote:
[...]

so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The \b switch (using a backslash, not a forward slash) doesn't go in any
header. It goes into the field code of the TOC field.

Click at the beginning of the existing table of contents, right-click, and
choose Toggle Field Codes. The table of contents will collapse to the field
code, which will look something like

{ TOC \o "1-3" \h \z }

Put the cursor between the letters TOC and the \o. Type the \b switch and
bookmark name into it so the result looks something like this (don't change
the other information if it's different from what's shown here):

{ TOC \b AllChapters \o "1-3" \h \z }

Then press F9 to update the table of contents, and tell it to update the
entire table. The result will be a TOC that contains only the headings from
within the bookmark.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

briank wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
briank briank is offline

Jay, as you suggested I inputted the following:
{TOC \b AllChapters\o "1-3" \H \Z \U }

I updated and when upon Alt f9 I notice that the headers are still visible.
Am I missing something in my code?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

briank wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The space before \o .

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

briank wrote:
[...]

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...witches.htmfor details.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
briank briank is offline

I am referring to the TOC entries based on
headings. Any help is appreciated.