Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default mysterious forward slash when I use StyleRef field

Hello Beth

Beth Obenshain wrote:
I just e-mailed you a stripped down version of my troublesome document. I'll
be very interested in learning what I've done wrong!

OK, got it.

It's definitely something odd with that heading. When I converted the
whole paragraph to Normal style (CTRL-SHIFT-N) and back again to a
Heading 1 or Heading 2, the slash was again there in the appropriate
STYLEREF field.

That means that whatever peculiarity it's coming from, it's probably
burried somewhere in the paragraph mark.

I fiddled around with it a bit, deleting the text and re-inserting it in
the same paragraph, and even got to a state where STYLEREF was showing
the slash in the end of the field (after the text) instead of at the start.

Anyway, what worked here was to select the whole text of the heading
*without* the paragraph mark (it really helps to display all
non-printing characters at least during that sort of work), cutting the
text, then deleting the paragraph. Then, set the cursor to the end of
the paragraph above it ("Chapter"), click RETURN to get a new paragraph,
paste special the text ("unformatted Unicode text" only, for instance --
shouldn't matter though), and re-assign Heading 1 style.

On a general note: the document has around 50% too many styles for my
taste (FWIW :-)). Displaying non-printing characters showed a whole lot
of bookmarks, so I went looking into the bookmark dialog and there were
many, many OLE links that seem to indicate that a lot of text has been
link-pasted into the document (or rather: from it, or within it). Unless
you are very sure that these are really needed, one might want to clean
up there a bit (programmatically, I guess, running through the bookmarks
collection and cleaning up some or all -- the gurus in the .vba groups
can tell you what to look out for here).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |