Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Todd Mc Todd Mc is offline

Default Word Templates Contents Page Numbers

When I create a new Word document from a template I created, why are the page
numbers not automatically updating in the document that opens? They all say
page 3 in the new document. When I open the template itself thew page numbers
are correct (3 through to 21). I am on Microsoft XP.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Page numbers on the page, or in a table of contents? I'm not sure, given
your subject, what it is you are seeing. If it is the page numbers on the
page, there is a bug in Word that is different in different versions
(including different SRs).
See http://www.addbalance.com/word/pagexofy.htm or
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm for information on Page
X of Y problems. You may also want to take a look at:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...eNumbering.htm. If it applies
you may also want to look at
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumber0.htm.

"Todd Mc" Todd wrote in message
When I create a new Word document from a template I created, why are the
page
numbers not automatically updating in the document that opens? They all
say
page 3 in the new document. When I open the template itself thew page
numbers
are correct (3 through to 21). I am on Microsoft XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Todd Mc Todd Mc is offline

In the new document created using the template, the page numbers on the pages
themselves are correct, but the page numbers in the table of contents all say
3. I don't want to have to update the table of contents everytime I open a
new document.Thanks for you help

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Todd

Todd Mc wrote:
In the new document created using the template, the page numbers on the pages
themselves are correct, but the page numbers in the table of contents all say
3. I don't want to have to update the table of contents everytime I open a
new document.

well, if Charles' links don't provide an answer, maybe you simply want
to include an AutoNew macro in the template which updates the TOC?

While page numbers that are off can certainly distract the user, one
would think that, by adding content to the new document, the TOC will
ultimately have to be updated anyway during the lifetime of the document ...

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Todd Mc Todd Mc is offline

Robert, thanks for your posting, changes each time a document is creted from
the template are minimal so the page numbers will never change.

Can you tell me how to include an AutoNew macro in the template which
updates the TOC?

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Todd

Todd Mc wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Todd

Todd Mc wrote:
Robert, thanks for your posting, changes each time a document is creted from
the template are minimal so the page numbers will never change.

Hmm. If that's true, and if also your headings never change, then -- one
might suggest unlinking the TOC would solve all problems: select the
first letter in the TOC (this selects the whole TOC field) and hit CTRL
SHIFT F9; you have now ordinary text only.

Can you tell me how to include an AutoNew macro in the template which
updates the TOC?

Caution: please take this with a large grain of salt, and test it
thorougly, as VBA is really not my specialty. If you still want an
active TOC, then it should be a one liner, something like this:

Sub autonew()
ActiveDocument.TablesOfContents(1).Update
End Sub

The macro must be saved in the template from which you are creating the
new documents.

HTH
Robert
--