Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

Default Contents Page

I am writing a report which is an evolving document and what I'd like to do
is put in a contents page with my section headings with the page numbers.

Rather than do what I do at the moment, which is to work out the pages
numbers for each section and type the numbers against the sections under the
Contents page, I'd like to do this so that as I add text under each section
within the main body of the document the pages numbers automaticallt alter.
This will save me wasting paper and ensuring that I do not have to check the
page numbers refers to the correct pages.

I think that this is done under Table of Contents, but I'm confused.

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

It's all automatic --

Insert Reference Index and Tables Table of Contents

"David" wrote in message
I am writing a report which is an evolving document and what I'd like to do
is put in a contents page with my section headings with the page numbers.

Rather than do what I do at the moment, which is to work out the pages
numbers for each section and type the numbers against the sections under
the
Contents page, I'd like to do this so that as I add text under each
section
within the main body of the document the pages numbers automaticallt
alter.
This will save me wasting paper and ensuring that I do not have to check
the
page numbers refers to the correct pages.

I think that this is done under Table of Contents, but I'm confused.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

If you've formatted your titles & subtitles using the built-in Styles
(Heading 1, Heading 2, etc), then the TOC feature is automatic, as Jezebel
indicated. If you've used other Styles they can be assigned to TOC levels
instead of using the built-in Styles, but you need to go a little deeper
into the dialog box. You can also go through the document and manually
insert TOC fields rather than using Styles.

Review the information in Word Help on Table of Contents as well as the
detailed information available he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/index.htm

Post back with any specific questions.

HTH |:)