Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neil Neil is offline

Default Double Spaces between sentences

I am using Word 2007. I have a long word document, that has, sometimes 1, 2,
or 3 spaces between sentences. The document is complete, including spelling
and grammer, except for the spaces between sentences.

I know under Word 2007, under the grammer settings, you can say you want 2
spaces between each sentence. I have that feature checked as two spaces, and
I have unchecked each other grammer check feature.

How can I have the document changed so that there are two spaces between
each sentence? When I run the grammer and spelling checker, it tries to
correct each spelling and grammer error it finds. However, I only want it to
change the spacing, and nothing else. It would take me forever to click the
ignore button on each error it finds. Any suggestions?
--
Neil
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Two_Spaces_Afer_Sentences.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Neil wrote:
I am using Word 2007. I have a long word document, that has,
sometimes 1, 2, or 3 spaces between sentences. The document is
complete, including spelling and grammer, except for the spaces
between sentences.

I know under Word 2007, under the grammer settings, you can say you
want 2 spaces between each sentence. I have that feature checked as
two spaces, and I have unchecked each other grammer check feature.

How can I have the document changed so that there are two spaces
between each sentence? When I run the grammer and spelling checker,
it tries to correct each spelling and grammer error it finds.
However, I only want it to change the spacing, and nothing else. It
would take me forever to click the ignore button on each error it
finds. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neil Neil is offline

Are you saying the only way to fix the document is run a macro? Didn't
anyone at Microsoft think of a way in Word 2007 to do it automatically?
--
Neil

Neil wrote:
I am using Word 2007. I have a long word document, that has,
sometimes 1, 2, or 3 spaces between sentences. The document is
complete, including spelling and grammer, except for the spaces
between sentences.

I know under Word 2007, under the grammer settings, you can say you
want 2 spaces between each sentence. I have that feature checked as
two spaces, and I have unchecked each other grammer check feature.

How can I have the document changed so that there are two spaces
between each sentence? When I run the grammer and spelling checker,
it tries to correct each spelling and grammer error it finds.
However, I only want it to change the spacing, and nothing else. It
would take me forever to click the ignore button on each error it
finds. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

No I am not saying that. Off hand I can think of at least two other
methods. The person that types the document in the first place can press
space space after each sentence or a future editor, like you, can use the
method that you outlined.

I don't work for Microsoft I have no idea what ways anyone there did or did
not think of.

Sorry.

--

Neil wrote:
I am using Word 2007. I have a long word document, that has,
sometimes 1, 2, or 3 spaces between sentences. The document is
complete, including spelling and grammer, except for the spaces
between sentences.

I know under Word 2007, under the grammer settings, you can say you
want 2 spaces between each sentence. I have that feature checked as
two spaces, and I have unchecked each other grammer check feature.

How can I have the document changed so that there are two spaces
between each sentence? When I run the grammer and spelling checker,
it tries to correct each spelling and grammer error it finds.
However, I only want it to change the spacing, and nothing else. It
would take me forever to click the ignore button on each error it
finds. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day Neil,

There is an expectation that some effort is required to solve problems and
that, after direction and information, the OWNER of the problem will make
that effort.

Reading the Macro, it is quite clear that it performs two successive Search
and Replace operations:
EditReplace
More (button)
Use Wildcards (CHECK the box)
Search Text: "([.\!\?]) ([A-Z])" (Leave out the quotes)
Replacement Text: "\1 \2"
Replace All (button)
Search Text: "([.\!\?]) {3,}([A-Z])"
Replacement Text: "\1 \2"
Replace All (button)
Cancel (button)

YOU could actually DO this yourself.

Now! I have made an effort to encourage YOU to make an effort!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Neil" wrote in message
I am using Word 2007. I have a long word document, that has, sometimes 1, 2,
or 3 spaces between sentences. The document is complete, including spelling
and grammer, except for the spaces between sentences.

I know under Word 2007, under the grammer settings, you can say you want 2
spaces between each sentence. I have that feature checked as two spaces, and
I have unchecked each other grammer check feature.

How can I have the document changed so that there are two spaces between
each sentence? When I run the grammer and spelling checker, it tries to
correct each spelling and grammer error it finds. However, I only want it to
change the spacing, and nothing else. It would take me forever to click the
ignore button on each error it finds. Any suggestions?
--
Neil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Pat,

Good to see that I wasn't the only one put off by the reply. A simple
"Thanks," followed by his additional questions would have made a difference.

--

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neil Neil is offline

Thanks for those answers. Now neither of you have sufficently solved my
problem. How does one fix a problem like the one I described in Word 2007
without running a macro. Can you please give me answer for that? The
meothod I tried didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?
--
Neil

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Neil,

Are you reading the answers provided? What whatever reason, Microsoft did
not provide a means to automatically put two spaces after each sentence. In
fact, with modern fonts, a lot of people feel that it isn't neccesary.

As Pat suggested, you don't need a macro. You wait until you are done
typing the document and then you use EditReplace. You look for period,
question marks, and explamation marks, then a single space, then a capital
letter (and replace with the punctuaction, two spaces, and the letter. Then
repeat the search looking for 3 or more spaces. You can do that without a
macro or use the macro to do it for you.

--

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

It's not just unnecessary, it's outright bad practice: it reduces
readability and it interferes with any subsequent machine processing. If you
submitted the document for commercial publication, one of the first things
they'd do is remove the superfluous spaces while muttering imprecations
about the idiot who them there in the first place.

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Jezebel" wrote:
It's not just unnecessary, it's outright bad practice: it reduces
readability and it interferes with any subsequent machine processing. If
you submitted the document for commercial publication, one of the first
things they'd do is remove the superfluous spaces while muttering
imprecations about the idiot who them there in the first place.

Right. And some typesetting programs remove multiple spaces automatically
(no questions asked).
Which will lead to problems, if the author used multiple spaces instead of
tabs.

Klaus [typesetter, muttering imprecations a lot]