Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nicola Nicola is offline

Default Template in Startup Folder

I ahve modifed all the standard styles in the normal.dot file. I have then
saved this as a new template and put it in my startup folder. Why does word
use the styles in the normal.dot file instead of the ones specified in the
template when I load word?

I have done this so that everyone in the company can load the styles from
the same startup folder (I do not want to modify everyones normal.dot file)
--
Nicola
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Templates in the StartUp folder are add-ins. Add-ins are not a method for
distributing styles: they are used for distributing macro code and autotext.
The available styles for any document are those defined in the document plus
those in the template on which the document is based, which is normal.dot by
default.

If you want everyone to use the same styles, then either bite the bullet and
modify your users' normal.dot, or persuade your users to base their
documents on a standard set of company templates which you put into a common
workgroup folder. Unless you work for Eurystheus, neither of these tasks is
likely to bring you much joy.

"Nicola" wrote in message
I ahve modifed all the standard styles in the normal.dot file. I have then
saved this as a new template and put it in my startup folder. Why does
word
use the styles in the normal.dot file instead of the ones specified in the
template when I load word?

I have done this so that everyone in the company can load the styles from
the same startup folder (I do not want to modify everyones normal.dot
file)
--
Nicola

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Styles are not automatically transferred from other global templates. Think
about it. I have 15 templates in my Startup folder. They all have a Body
Text style. Which one should be applied to a new document? However, there
are ways. See http://addbalance.com/word/stylesheet.htm.

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.