Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
nannybear nannybear is offline

Default How do I create auto text instructions for a form field

I am using the Legacy tools feature to add text fields in a form I am
creating using a table format. I see the Add Help Text, but do not
understand where the help text displays once I protect the document as a
fill-in form.

Thank you for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Yes, I think the F1 popup is "classic" as well (I'd forgotten about that
since I rarely do forms and never use help).

http://word.mvps.org

"nannybear" wrote in message
I am using the Legacy tools feature to add text fields in a form I am
creating using a table format. I see the Add Help Text, but do not
understand where the help text displays once I protect the document
as a fill-in form.

Thank you for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
nannybear nannybear is offline

Thank you for the input - I was hoping to find the feature like Access (?)
where the tip auto displays when the field is tabbed to or you hover your
cursor over a field.

Actually, I cannot even figure out how to enter the information in the auto
text window to get it to display...I've tried the follow the process and am
getting nowhere...very slowly.

"nannybear" wrote in message
I am using the Legacy tools feature to add text fields in a form I am
creating using a table format. I see the Add Help Text, but do not
understand where the help text displays once I protect the document
as a fill-in form.

Thank you for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From the form field properties - add help text there are two tabs - Status
Bar and Help Key (F1)
Status Bar as its name suggests puts help text in the status bar
Check the Type your own radio button and type the help text in the window.
Obviously the space available on the status bar limits what you can
practically write there.
The Help Key tab works in a similar way except that you can write more text
and it displays in a pop-up box when you press F1 with the field selected.
Both tabs have an autotext option which instead of using the typed-in text
use the content of a pre-existing autotext entry that you can pick from a
list.
A third method you can use is to add an autonew macro to display a messages
to direct user attention to the status bar e.g.

Sub AutoNew()
Dim sMsg As String
Dim sVer As Integer
sMsg = "Refer to status line at bottom of screen for field entry details" _
& vbCr & "Use the tab key to move between fields"
sVer = Application.version
If sVer 12 Then
Assistant.On = True
Set Balloon = Assistant.NewBalloon
With Balloon
.Text = sMsg
.Button = msoButtonSetOK
.Animation = msoAnimationBeginSpeaking
.Show
End With
Else
MsgBox sMsg, vbInformation, "User Information"
End If
End Sub

This is only really practical if you are distributing the form as a
template.