bbb

Default Merge Madness

I am trying to use Word 2000 to merge an image from a GoldMine 6.5 dBASE
database. I have tried the suggestions given so far in this group and I have
had only partial success. What I have done so far is to store the path to an
image file for each contact in a user-defined field in GoldMine called
UIMAGE01 in this format:

E:\\images\\filename.gif

I have come up two syntax variations that seem to work to a point:

{INCLUDEPICTURE "{DDEAUTO GoldMine Data CONTACT2-UIMAGE01 \* CHARFORMAT}"
\* MERGEFORMAT}

{INCLUDEPICTURE "{DDEAUTO GoldMine Data CONTACT2-UIMAGE01 \* CHARFORMAT}"}

Note that the code inside the quotation marks returns the path to the image
file. My problem is that when I print the merge, the images do not appear.

While I was testing by merging a single contact to my screen, I noticed that
the image would appear for a split second and then disappear. I discovered I
could make the image reappear by clicking the undo icon on the toolbar. The
mouseover tooltip when I do this says "Undo VBA-Selection.Delete". As soon
as I undo VBA-Selection.Delete, the image reappears every time.

Has anyone seen this before?? I am not exactly new to IT but this one is
driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated, I would be willing to
purchase a utility, but the only ones I have seen are a bit of an overkill
for what should be simple.

thanks, Bill
Please respond to the group, as my return email has been changed to protect
the innocent.

Graham Mayor

{IncludePicture "{Mergefield UIMAGE01}"} or had you not include the path in
the field
{IncludePicture"E:\\images\\{Mergefield UIMAGE01}"} might have been simpler.
Merge to a new document, select the lot (CTRL+A) then update (F9) to display
the correct information.

bbb wrote:
[...]

Peter Jamieson

If you are performing a standard /Word/ mailmerge from Goldmine, follow
Graham's advice. It's a while since I looked at Goldmine, but ISTR (and your
message suggests it) that it uses a different approach to merges using DDE
fields. If so, you may find this difficult to do unless you change the way
you merge, and that will only be possible if you can either export your
Goldmine data in a format Word can use as the data souce for a merge, or if
there is an ODBC driver that lets you get data directly from Goldmine's
database.

Peter Jamieson