Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
N. Franks

Default I have a problem loading the Symbol Dialog Box in WORD 2003

I have even added a shortcut to this on the toolbar, but when I click on it
nothing happens. I have updated to office service pack 2, but that did not
even help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

When you click on Insert | Symbol what happens? Is it greyed out?
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"N. Franks" wrote:

I have even added a shortcut to this on the toolbar, but when I click on it
nothing happens. I have updated to office service pack 2, but that did not
even help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
N. Franks

When I click on either the Symbol under Insert, or the shortcut (omega) icon
I added to the toolbar, the WORD window Grey's out and stays like that until
I click somewhere on the document, then goes back to normal. I do not have a
separate Dialog Box that pops up for the Symbols. I have made sure that
nothing is opening off screen, and all of the other options that will bring
up a separate Dialog Box work just fine.

"N. Franks" wrote:

I have even added a shortcut to this on the toolbar, but when I click on it
nothing happens. I have updated to office service pack 2, but that did not
even help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
N. Franks

I am running a program called System Suite 6 Professional, but I am unable to
find the Office Plug-in option anywhere in there.

I should have probably checked before, but when I open Excel 2003, and try
to bring up the Symbol Box, it works there, just not in WORD. I have tried
to un-install and then re-install everything, but with no luck. If nothing
else, I can type out the symbols in Excel, and then just paste them in WORD
for right now until I can figure out why my program is absent minded.

"N. Franks" wrote:

I have even added a shortcut to this on the toolbar, but when I click

on it
nothing happens. I have updated to office service pack 2, but that

did not
even help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you click on your Symbol button, then minimize your Word document, do you
see the Symbol dialog? If so, it's opening behind the Word window. Norton AV
is one of the most common culprits here, but there could be others; see €śThe
Word title bar flashes or the Word program becomes unresponsive when Word is
running€ť
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812075

Also, if Norton AV was installed at one time then the DLL for the Office
Plug-in could still be registered.

Search for : officeav.dll

If you find it then go to Start/Run and run the following command:

regsvr32 /u "path\officeav.dll"

Here is a KB article that provides a few additional details. It does
not include information on Norton CE but it will contain additional
details on the unregister command if you need them:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The Symbol dialog is opening behind your Word window. If you are running
Norton AntiVirus, disable its Office Plug-in.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"N. Franks" wrote:

I have even added a shortcut to this on the toolbar, but when I

click
on it
nothing happens. I have updated to office service pack 2, but

that
did not
even help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
N. Franks

No, it wasn't there when I minimized either. I kept thinking it was opening
off screen because of the setting on my video card, but it wasn't that
either. However, I finally got it. I renamed my Data to Old Data, and
Options to Old Options under regedit. They were corrupted somehow when I
initially installed Office over Works Suite. I didn't have Excel before, so
it was fine, but when WORD was replaced, it corrupted some of the files. I
am just suprised that the Symbols were the only thing that didn't work
properly.

Thanks for all the help...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you click on your Symbol button, then minimize your Word document, do you
see the Symbol dialog? If so, it's opening behind the Word window. Norton AV
is one of the most common culprits here, but there could be others; see €śThe
Word title bar flashes or the Word program becomes unresponsive when Word is
running€ť
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812075

Also, if Norton AV was installed at one time then the DLL for the Office
Plug-in could still be registered.

Search for : officeav.dll

If you find it then go to Start/Run and run the following command:

regsvr32 /u "path\officeav.dll"

Here is a KB article that provides a few additional details. It does
not include information on Norton CE but it will contain additional
details on the unregister command if you need them:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820

news