Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Reaper Peter Reaper is offline

Default TOC links open in Browser (should go to page)

I have a document with a table of contents in Word 2000 (SR-3). Whenever
I click a TOC entry, it opens the following URL in my browser:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/#_Toc152131057

It didn't used to do this, but I don't know what/if I did to cause this.

Please help me make Word's TOC links jump to the document's chapter header.

Thank you.
--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust: http://www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: http://www.GetThunderbird.com
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Peter Reaper wrote on 24.11.2006 11:37:
I have a document with a table of contents in Word 2000 (SR-3). Whenever
I click a TOC entry, it opens the following URL in my browser:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/#_Toc152131057

It didn't used to do this, but I don't know what/if I did to cause this.

Please help me make Word's TOC links jump to the document's chapter header.

Could someone help me with this, please?
--
Regards,

Peter Reaper
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Wild guess:

Make a COPY of the document. Then delete your TOC and regenerate it. See if
that works.

On 11/27/06 7:55 AM, "Peter Reaper" wrote:

Peter Reaper wrote on 24.11.2006 11:37:
I have a document with a table of contents in Word 2000 (SR-3). Whenever
I click a TOC entry, it opens the following URL in my browser:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/#_Toc152131057

It didn't used to do this, but I don't know what/if I did to cause this.

Please help me make Word's TOC links jump to the document's chapter header.

Could someone help me with this, please?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Reaper Peter Reaper is offline

It tried your suggestion, and clicking on a TOC entry still opens the
"link"(*) in my default browser (Firefox).

(*) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/#_Toc152475269

Why the "#_Toc152475269" is prepended by "http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/"
is a mystery to me. That's not even my homepage.

If I select: Context Menu / Toggle Field Codes, I get: {HYPERLINK \L
"_TOC152475266"}, which seems OK.

The context menu "Hyperlink / Edit Hyperlink" yields:

Link to: Text to display [Selection in Document

Select a place in this document: (nothing is selected)
- Top of the document
- Headings
- Bookmarks

Could some errant registry entry be the culprit? (although a search for
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US came up empty)

PS. Can I attach screenshots to this newsgroup?

Daiya Mitchell wrote on 27.11.2006 17:29:
Wild guess:

Make a COPY of the document. Then delete your TOC and regenerate it. See if
that works.

On 11/27/06 7:55 AM, "Peter Reaper" wrote:

Peter Reaper wrote on 24.11.2006 11:37:
I have a document with a table of contents in Word 2000 (SR-3). Whenever
I click a TOC entry, it opens the following URL in my browser:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/#_Toc152131057

It didn't used to do this, but I don't know what/if I did to cause this.

Please help me make Word's TOC links jump to the document's chapter header.

Could someone help me with this, please?

--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust: http://www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: http://www.GetThunderbird.com
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In File | Properties, Summary tab, clear the contents of the
"Hyperlink base" box and click OK. Update the table of contents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter Reaper" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Reaper Peter Reaper is offline

Peter Reaper wrote on 28.11.2006 11:20: The context menu "Hyperlink / Edit Hyperlink" yields:

Initial View:

BTW: I set IE as my default browser, and the TOC link now opens in IE. So that eliminates Firefox as cause as potentially intercepting the links.

-- Regards, Peter Reaper

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter Reaper" wrote in message
That did it! Thank you very much! :-)

Stefan Blom wrote on 28.11.2006 11:28:
In File | Properties, Summary tab, clear the contents of the
"Hyperlink base" box and click OK. Update the table of contents.

--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust: http://www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: http://www.GetThunderbird.com

how do I control page numbers in a section break? Danno Page Layout 2 October 19th 06 07:09 PM
Help-Unique Page Numbering for additional pages inserted into docu White Shoes Page Layout 8 October 6th 06 02:34 PM
I want to start Page '1' on the 3rd page. HOW???????? HELP????? marthamemphis Page Layout 11 October 3rd 06 12:30 AM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
section breaks change each time opening document Dave Microsoft Word Help 6 March 21st 05 11:01 AM