Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MichelleL MichelleL is offline

Default Applying Custom Templates: Headers, Footers not appearing

Hello!
First off, thank you for creating these forums. Ne'er has there been a
URL that so expresses my feelings at the moment.

After banging my head against the wall and fighting with Visual Basic
to create a template full of fancy bells and whistles for my client,
I've come up against a probably simple, but amazingly annoying issue.

When I apply my template to a document, the headers and footers don't
appear. I don't understand. (Yes, I click View -- Headers, Footers.)
They're not there.

I go back to the template. They exist. I create a new document. They
exist. I apply the template to a document with no headers/footers (or
in some cases existing headers/footers) and nothing.

If it were just for me, I'd come up with a workaround. But I need to
hand this template off to a client who needs to work with it. Cutting
and pasting, etc, isn't going to do it.

Surely there is a way to make the headers and footers appear when
applying to an EXISTING document.

Thank you so much, in advance, for any help you might provide.

Cheers,
Michelle

Almost forgot - I'm using Word 2003.

--
MichelleL
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is a not that uncommon misconception, but that is not the way templates
work. You will need to create a new document from the template and then
copy and paste the content of the existing document into that new document,
being careful not to paste over the final paragraph mark that "contains" the
header and footer information.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.