Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Graham is offline

Default Office 2007 Word Help files

I can no longer access the Help files. I get a 'download' box open which
asks if I want to open, save or cancel a file called 'transitions.htm' What
is happening and how can I get the help files back? The same is happening in
Excel and Powerpoint too. Thanks!

Word 2007/Vista Home Premium 32-bit/Firefox 3.0.1
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Have you tried repairing the installation of Office?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham" wrote:

I can no longer access the Help files. I get a 'download' box open which
asks if I want to open, save or cancel a file called 'transitions.htm' What
is happening and how can I get the help files back? The same is happening in
Excel and Powerpoint too. Thanks!

Word 2007/Vista Home Premium 32-bit/Firefox 3.0.1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Graham is offline

Thanks for the suggestion Stefan - I have tried repairing, both from the
computer and from the actual installation disk - no joy there though.

It looks as though I may have to uninstall and reinstall, doesn't it?

I only noticed the fault after installing Firefox 3.0 - has anyone else
noticed a problem?

Thanks.
Graham

"Graham" wrote:

I can no longer access the Help files. I get a 'download' box open which
asks if I want to open, save or cancel a file called 'transitions.htm' What
is happening and how can I get the help files back? The same is happening in
Excel and Powerpoint too. Thanks!

Word 2007/Vista Home Premium 32-bit/Firefox 3.0.1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

No, uninstalling and reinstalling is unlikely to help.

Check if Firefox installs an add-in, as that could very well be the problem.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham" wrote:

I can no longer access the Help files. I get a 'download' box open
which
asks if I want to open, save or cancel a file called 'transitions.htm'
What
is happening and how can I get the help files back? The same is
happening in
Excel and Powerpoint too. Thanks!

Word 2007/Vista Home Premium 32-bit/Firefox 3.0.1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Graham is offline

Thanks again for trying, Stefan!

I cannot find any add-on or application that might cause this problem - none
are new (ie ones that I haven't used befoe) and the applications list in
Firefox has Windows selected as 'use m'soft word as default'.

Still stumped - but grateful to you for trying!

Graham

"Graham" wrote:

I can no longer access the Help files. I get a 'download' box open
which
asks if I want to open, save or cancel a file called 'transitions.htm'
What
is happening and how can I get the help files back? The same is
happening in
Excel and Powerpoint too. Thanks!

Word 2007/Vista Home Premium 32-bit/Firefox 3.0.1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Let's take a step back here. :-) If you start Word in Safe mode (hold the
Ctrl key as you start the application), then does it work correctly?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham" wrote:

I can no longer access the Help files. I get a 'download' box open
which
asks if I want to open, save or cancel a file called
'transitions.htm'
What
is happening and how can I get the help files back? The same is
happening in
Excel and Powerpoint too. Thanks!

Word 2007/Vista Home Premium 32-bit/Firefox 3.0.1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Graham is offline

Disappointingly, no. I get the same problem.

Ther file Firefox is trying to open is from MS.WINWORD.12.1033 if that helps
at all...

"Graham" wrote:

I can no longer access the Help files. I get a 'download' box open
which
asks if I want to open, save or cancel a file called
'transitions.htm'
What
is happening and how can I get the help files back? The same is
happening in
Excel and Powerpoint too. Thanks!

Word 2007/Vista Home Premium 32-bit/Firefox 3.0.1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Graham,

From one of your messages it sounds like it's trying to either open Word or have Word open the help files. Office 2007 uses a
separate app for displaying the helpfile dialog (CLView.exe). Check to see that your firewall allows that app access.

If you double click a .htm file (web page) saved to your hard drive does it open in Firefox?

If you use Start=Search to locate Transitions.htm on your PC, what folder is it in?

If you use F1 in Word, in the bottom right corner does it show 'Offline'? If so click the 'Offline indicator' to try each of the
combinations.

Also try setting Internet Explorer as your default browser temporarily, restart Word and see if you get the same result.

===========
"Graham" wrote in message ...
Disappointingly, no. I get the same problem.

Ther file Firefox is trying to open is from MS.WINWORD.12.1033 if that helps
at all...
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Graham is offline

Hello Bob

Thanks to you too for trying!

The firewall does allow CLView.exe - no worries there.

A .htm file opens in Firefox unless IE is set as default, then it opens in
IE.

transition.htm is not on my computer that I can find - it only arrives when
I try to open Help.

Changing the online/offline status doesn't really help - when online,
nothing appears but transitions tries to open as a download. When opened,
transition.htm opens a web page that says 'loading help from M'soft Office
online.' It has a link to 'Show me offline help on my computer.'

Using Help, there is nothing visible in the window when it shows 'online'.
Setting it for 'offline' makes the main menu appear, but I cannot search for
any item - when I do, a new window opens ('do you want to open/save/cancel
error file' - and this in turn opens a web page saying 'The page you are
looking for is unavailable.' So it seems to be searching the web even though
I want it to search offline!

All very strange, so I am grateful to you for trying to help.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been out and about a bit - and I
will have to wait till tomorrow before I reply to anything else you may send
tonight.

But thanks in advance!
Graham

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote: