Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brent E Brent E is offline

Default Update Table of Contents: Document Not Seeing heading update

Good Day,

I pasted a few pages of content from DocumentA into the middle of DocumentB
that already has an existing Table of Contents.

I set the format heading of the added section to €śheading1€ť and set the
indent level on the outline tool bar to €śLevel 1.€ť

I then clicked on the TOC and the entire table was highlighted. I pressed F9
and selected €śUpdate Entire Table€ť. The table updated, but only the page
numbers were updated. The heading was not included in the table of contents,
nor the page number on which the section starts.

In troubleshooting, I also clicked on the added section and clicked the €śGo
To TOC€ť icon on the outline toolbar and got an dialogue box pop saying €śThe
current document does not contain a table of contents. Click Insert |
Reference | Indexes and Tables to create a TOC.€ť So the document is seeing
the num of pages added in the section because it adjusted the page numbers
accordingly, but for some reason does not see the heading and the added
section does not see that there is a table of contents in the document. For
some reason they aren't linking.

Any ideas how to add the section to the TOC? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Cordially,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The document might be damaged. Try copying its contents, minus the TOC and
the final paragraph mark (¶) of the document into a new document. Recreate
the TOC. Does that help?

Note that in order to show/hide paragraph marks as well as other nonprinting
marks, you can press Ctrl+Shift+8.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Brent E" wrote in message
Good Day,

I pasted a few pages of content from DocumentA into the middle of
DocumentB
that already has an existing Table of Contents.

I set the format heading of the added section to "heading1" and set the
indent level on the outline tool bar to "Level 1."

I then clicked on the TOC and the entire table was highlighted. I pressed
F9
and selected "Update Entire Table". The table updated, but only the page
numbers were updated. The heading was not included in the table of
contents,
nor the page number on which the section starts.

In troubleshooting, I also clicked on the added section and clicked the
"Go
To TOC" icon on the outline toolbar and got an dialogue box pop saying
"The
current document does not contain a table of contents. Click Insert |
Reference | Indexes and Tables to create a TOC." So the document is seeing
the num of pages added in the section because it adjusted the page numbers
accordingly, but for some reason does not see the heading and the added
section does not see that there is a table of contents in the document.
For
some reason they aren't linking.

Any ideas how to add the section to the TOC? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Cordially,

Anyhoo Anyhoo is offline
Junior Member

Your solution does not work in Word 2010. The TOC is still not showing all entries that it should even after copying to a new document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom View Post