Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] colincurious@hotmail.com is offline

Default Problem with a merge that I find difficult to explain? Help please!!

I'm using Word in Office 2003

Not that familiar with mail merge but understand the basic principles
and know how to use the wizard insert field names into the a letter
then select the relevant column from the spreadsheet. I use a
simplifed example below to illustrate what my problem:

One of my column headings is 'product' and there are say 7 x brick, 6
x door, 4 x window frame and 12 x garden gate. So my column has 29
items.

Door may appear in 6 rows but then other columns relate to colour,
size etc. So, we might have a blue large door and a green small door
and so on.

I want one letter to within it to include the merged words 'door,
green large' then the next letter to state 'door, blue, medium' the
next letter to state 'door, orange, extra large' and so on. Instead,
I get one letter stating 'door, green, large' but then it does not
produce new letters to include the different door types because it
assumes once it has put in the first record relating to door that the
job is done but does not include the different aspects from the same
row?

Oh this is really hard to explain, if any of it makes sense, can
someone comment to give me some inspiration? Thank you!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are all of the other fields in the rows that contain the different doors
populated with data, or are they, or some of them empty?

If you find it too hard to explain, you can send the data source and the
mail merge main document to me at and I will try and sort it
out.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.