Legalsecretarywannabe

Default How do I line up the lines of text with the side numbers in a leg.

When I prepare a legal pleading the first line of text is slightly above the
number "1" in the left margin - and the lines are not the same distance apart
as the numbers in the margin, so that only about 2 out of 10 lines are
actually lined up properly. How do I synchronize these things?
Charles Kenyon

You need to set the line spacing in the paragraph style you are using to
match the numbering along the side. (Also the spacing between paragraphs.)
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Legalsecretarywannabe"
wrote in message ...
When I prepare a legal pleading the first line of text is slightly above
the
number "1" in the left margin - and the lines are not the same distance
apart
as the numbers in the margin, so that only about 2 out of 10 lines are
actually lined up properly. How do I synchronize these things?

Legalsecretarywannabe

wrote in message ...
When I prepare a legal pleading the first line of text is slightly above
the
number "1" in the left margin - and the lines are not the same distance
apart
as the numbers in the margin, so that only about 2 out of 10 lines are
actually lined up properly. How do I synchronize these things?

Thanks - except it doesn't seem to work - perhaps I just can't find the correct combination of settings. Also, is there a way to do it for the whole document at once, given that there are single space sections and double space sections?

AGolden

Suzanne,

I was experiencing a similar problem to the originator of this thread, and I
tried your suggestion of using Word's built-in line number. The problem I
get is that the numbers in a legal pleading need to always be double spaced
along the left margin, but sometime the text in the body of the document
needs to be single spaces (like in the caption or certain quotations, etc.).
When I switch to single spacing, the line number then become single spaced.
Any suggestions?

-Anthony

wrote in message

When I prepare a legal pleading the first line of text is slightly

above
the
number "1" in the left margin - and the lines are not the same

distance
apart
as the numbers in the margin, so that only about 2 out of 10 lines are
actually lined up properly. How do I synchronize these things?

Thanks - except it doesn't seem to work - perhaps I just can't find the

correct combination of settings. Also, is there a way to do it for the
whole document at once, given that there are single space sections and
double space sections?

Isn't that what you want? What is the point of a line number if it doesn't
indicate the number of the line?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In such situations you'd be a lot better off using Word's built-in line
numbering feature rather than fixed numbering in the margin.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Legalsecretarywannabe"

wrote in message

When I prepare a legal pleading the first line of text is slightly

above
the
number "1" in the left margin - and the lines are not the same

distance
apart
as the numbers in the margin, so that only about 2 out of 10 lines

are
actually lined up properly. How do I synchronize these things?

Thanks - except it doesn't seem to work - perhaps I just can't find

the
correct combination of settings. Also, is there a way to do it for the
whole document at once, given that there are single space sections and
double space sections?

AGolden

Seemingly, that would make sense. Unfortunately various states' rules of
court don't always make sense. The line numbers are generally evenly spaced
whether or not the text happens to fall on a particular number. It works
when you get to the body of a legal pleading because that's almost entirely
double spaced (I say "almost" because it is permissible in many jurisdictions
to use block quotes that are single spaced), but the very beginning of a
pleading that includes the attorney's name, address, court informaiton,
caption, etc. is generally single spaced. When I use Word's line numbering,
I get say numbers 1 through 16 as single spaced (the text for those lines is
single spaced), then lines 17 through X are double spaced because the rest of
the document is double spaced. However, then the line numbers don't look
uniform. I think that's the reason the pleading wizard creates the fixed
numbers anchored to the header. It works well enough, but it would be
cleaner if I could use Word's built-in numbering (assuming it can space the
numbers out evenly even when the text line spacing varies).

Thanks for your help though, I've been reading through your other posts and
the MVP website, and it's been extremely helpful.

-Anthony