KR

Default Change Word default (opening attachments from Outlook) from reading layout to print layout?

At work we just upgraded to Office2003. When I create new documents in Word,
they come up in "print layout", which is my desired working view.

When I open Word attachments from Outlook, they often come up in "reading
layout" (2 page, side-by-side) which in most cases messes up the tables and
other info, actually making it harder to read.

Is there a setting somewhere that I haven't found yet that will
automatically make all documents open in print layout?

Thanks,
Keith

--
The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent the
thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my

JulieD

Hi Keith

annoying isn't it

tools /options / general - untick "allow starting in reading layout" (top
right of screen)

Cheers
JulieD

"KR" wrote in message
At work we just upgraded to Office2003. When I create new documents in
Word,
they come up in "print layout", which is my desired working view.

When I open Word attachments from Outlook, they often come up in "reading
layout" (2 page, side-by-side) which in most cases messes up the tables
and
other info, actually making it harder to read.

Is there a setting somewhere that I haven't found yet that will
automatically make all documents open in print layout?

Thanks,
Keith

--
The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent
the
thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my
own.

There's no setting that will make documents open in Print Layout view (they
will, by default, open in the view in which they were saved), though you can
accomplish this with a macro. To keep them from opening in Reading Layout
view, however, clear the check box on the General tab of Tools | Options.

"KR" wrote in message
At work we just upgraded to Office2003. When I create new documents in

Word,
they come up in "print layout", which is my desired working view.

When I open Word attachments from Outlook, they often come up in "reading
layout" (2 page, side-by-side) which in most cases messes up the tables

and
other info, actually making it harder to read.

Is there a setting somewhere that I haven't found yet that will
automatically make all documents open in print layout?

Thanks,
Keith

--
The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent

the
thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my
own.

Graham Mayor

Tools options general uncheck allow starting in reading layout.
Documents should open in the view in which they were saved. To override this
requires an autoopen macro

Sub AutoOpen()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdPrintView
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
.ShowFieldCodes = False
.DisplayPageBoundaries = True
End With
End Sub

see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

KR wrote:
At work we just upgraded to Office2003. When I create new documents
in Word, they come up in "print layout", which is my desired working
view.

When I open Word attachments from Outlook, they often come up in
"reading layout" (2 page, side-by-side) which in most cases messes up
the tables and other info, actually making it harder to read.

Is there a setting somewhere that I haven't found yet that will
automatically make all documents open in print layout?

Thanks,
Keith

TF

Tools, Options, General tab and clear the option 'Allow Starting in Reading
layout' (which you would think belongs under the View Tab!)

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: When I open Word attachments from Outlook, they often come up in "reading
: layout" (2 page, side-by-side) which in most cases messes up the tables
and
: other info, actually making it harder to read.
:
: Is there a setting somewhere that I haven't found yet that will
: automatically make all documents open in print layout?
:
: Thanks,
: Keith
: