Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott Atkins

Default How do I stop Word from replacing characters?

For example, I use a lot of €śthree periods at the end of a sentence€ť when I
write... Word replaces the three periods that I type with a single character
that has three dots in it... I dont like that, because it's much harder to
see, and if I copy what I just wrote and paste it in to an application, the
character frequently is turned in to some gibberish character.

As an example, I am typing this response up in Word, rather than in my
browser window€¦ I want the spellchecking to point out what my laziness
misses. I will copy it and paste it in to the window and post it€¦ we shall
see if the €śthree dot€ť character comes across distorted or not€¦

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

If you don't want Word to replace three periods, do the following: On
the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect. Click the AutoCorrect tab. Locate
the "..." entry, select it, and press Delete. Click OK to close the
dialog box.

Note that if you don't want to delete the AutoCorrect entry, in
situations where you don't want the autocorrection, you can press
Ctrl+Z to undo it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Scott Atkins" wrote in message
For example, I use a lot of "three periods at the end of a sentence"

when I
write... Word replaces the three periods that I type with a single

character
that has three dots in it... I don't like that, because it's much

harder to
see, and if I copy what I just wrote and paste it in to an

application, the
character frequently is turned in to some gibberish character.

As an example, I am typing this response up in Word, rather than in

my
browser window. I want the spellchecking to point out what my

laziness
misses. I will copy it and paste it in to the window and post it.

we shall
see if the "three dot" character comes across distorted or not.