Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LMB

Default Character limit

Hello Everyone,

Using word 2000. I am working on a project and each line can't have more
than 60 characters including spaces (a space is = to a character). I can
see the number of characters in my status bar because I am using a table and
it appears that the Col number is equal to characters. I have added a column
at the end of my table and am manually entering the number of characters.
Is there a way to insert a function/formula into this last column to auto
insert the final character count?

Thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Lmb,

Using word 2000. I am working on a project and each line can't have more
than 60 characters including spaces (a space is = to a character). I can
see the number of characters in my status bar because I am using a table and
it appears that the Col number is equal to characters. I have added a column
at the end of my table and am manually entering the number of characters.
Is there a way to insert a function/formula into this last column to auto
insert the final character count?

You'd need a macro to pick up the number of characters. Depending on how you're
working, you could, possibly, use an EVENT to force the macro to execute (like
moving from one table cell to another). How "simple" the macro would be, other
than that, would depend on whether there would be only one line of text / table
cell...

Or, use a proportional font (such as Courier New) so that the table / page
width controls the number of characters. That would be a lot simpler. Once the
document is finished, if it needs to be "pretty" you could then apply a
porportional font.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LMB

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Lmb,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy,

Thanks,
I have never heard of proportional fonts, I did that and it works great. No
need for this to be pretty, when I get the wording down to 60 characters the
programmers will build the form.

Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

When Cindy wrote "a proportional font (such as Courier New)," she meant to
say "a monospaced font." Times New Roman, Arial, and most other fonts you
use in Word are proportional; that is, the letters are of variable width as
needed (an m is wider than an i, for example). A monospaced font is like the
type on most typewriters; every character is the same width.

/
table
cell...

Or, use a proportional font (such as Courier New) so that the table /

page
width controls the number of characters. That would be a lot simpler.

Once
the
document is finished, if it needs to be "pretty" you could then apply a
porportional font.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or
reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy,

Thanks,
I have never heard of proportional fonts, I did that and it works great.

No
need for this to be pretty, when I get the wording down to 60 characters

the
programmers will build the form.

Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Suzanne,

When Cindy wrote "a proportional font (such as Courier New)," she meant to
say "a monospaced font." Times New Roman, Arial, and most other fonts you
use in Word are proportional; that is, the letters are of variable width as
needed (an m is wider than an i, for example). A monospaced font is like the
type on most typewriters; every character is the same width.

Yeah, I meant to write non-proportional. My apologies to everyone reading this
thread for mixing that up!

Cindy Meister

Cell character limit? Sara Tables 3 October 11th 05 08:28 PM
What is the character or word limit for an AutoText entry in Word Krista Microsoft Word Help 6 July 19th 05 07:17 AM
Word 2000 autocorrect or autotext character limit mhillig1 Microsoft Word Help 1 February 16th 05 10:59 PM
Character limit in mail merge Carson Mailmerge 1 January 6th 05 06:17 PM
255 character limit in Word mail merge Gibson Mailmerge 1 December 7th 04 11:36 AM