Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Two problems with macros

First, I have Ctrl+Shift+U set to Underline. But something I'm doing
seems to add more and more Underline symbols to the Macro toolbar, and
I can't seem to get rid of them.

Second, I have Ctrl+Shift+D set to Symbol - Alt+0186 - Times New
Roman, but occasionally it switches to MS Mincho instead of Symbol for
no apparent reason! This seems to happen only after a certain point in
the document, and I have to delete the section and type everything over
again.

Any advice?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Macros in Word do not record keystrokes, but results.
Ctrl-U is already set to underline by default. Why do you need a macro?
How are you adding to the Macro toolbar? Why?

Consider using AutoText instead of a macro for your symbol. Macros are not a
good way to reproduce text in Word. (Sort of like using a band saw to slice
bread.)

If you really need these macros, look at them in the vba editor (Alt-F11)
and step through them using the F8 key.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

wrote in message
oups.com...
First, I have Ctrl+Shift+U set to Underline. But something I'm doing
seems to add more and more Underline symbols to the Macro toolbar, and
I can't seem to get rid of them.

Second, I have Ctrl+Shift+D set to Symbol - Alt+0186 - Times New
Roman, but occasionally it switches to MS Mincho instead of Symbol for
no apparent reason! This seems to happen only after a certain point in
the document, and I have to delete the section and type everything over
again.

Any advice?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm curious as to why you have assigned Ctrl+Shift+U to Underline when there
is already a built-in keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+U) for underline. There is
also, FWIW, a built-in keyboard shortcut for the degree symbol (Alt+0186 or
U00BA) in any font: Ctrl+@, Spacebar. If you have assigned a keyboard
shortcut to the degree symbol in a specific font (rather than "(normal
text)"), this may be part of the problem.

FWIW, I have problems in documents based on some older templates with en and
em spaces becoming MS Mincho when copied and pasted or when I use
Ctrl+Spacebar (ResetChar) on text, and there is also a bug whereby form text
sometimes becomes MS Mincho.

wrote in message
oups.com...
First, I have Ctrl+Shift+U set to Underline. But something I'm doing
seems to add more and more Underline symbols to the Macro toolbar, and
I can't seem to get rid of them.

Second, I have Ctrl+Shift+D set to Symbol - Alt+0186 - Times New
Roman, but occasionally it switches to MS Mincho instead of Symbol for
no apparent reason! This seems to happen only after a certain point in
the document, and I have to delete the section and type everything over
again.

Any advice?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I missed the fact that he's using macros to do this. Keyboard shortcuts can
be applied to commands directly through the Tools | Customize | Keyboard
dialog; they can be assigned to symbols directly through the Insert |
Symbol: Shortcut Key... dialog.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in message
Macros in Word do not record keystrokes, but results.
Ctrl-U is already set to underline by default. Why do you need a macro?
How are you adding to the Macro toolbar? Why?

Consider using AutoText instead of a macro for your symbol. Macros are not

good way to reproduce text in Word. (Sort of like using a band saw to

slice
bread.)

If you really need these macros, look at them in the vba editor (Alt-F11)
and step through them using the F8 key.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

wrote in message
oups.com...
First, I have Ctrl+Shift+U set to Underline. But something I'm doing
seems to add more and more Underline symbols to the Macro toolbar, and
I can't seem to get rid of them.

Second, I have Ctrl+Shift+D set to Symbol - Alt+0186 - Times New
Roman, but occasionally it switches to MS Mincho instead of Symbol for
no apparent reason! This seems to happen only after a certain point in
the document, and I have to delete the section and type everything over
again.

Any advice?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I'm curious as to why you have assigned Ctrl+Shift+U to Underline when there
is already a built-in keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+U) for underline. There is
also, FWIW, a built-in keyboard shortcut for the degree symbol (Alt+0186 or
U00BA) in any font: Ctrl+@, Spacebar. If you have assigned a keyboard
shortcut to the degree symbol in a specific font (rather than "(normal
text)"), this may be part of the problem.

FWIW, I have problems in documents based on some older templates with en and
em spaces becoming MS Mincho when copied and pasted or when I use
Ctrl+Spacebar (ResetChar) on text, and there is also a bug whereby form text
sometimes becomes MS Mincho.

I accidentally assigned Ctrl+U to another macro for a mathematical
symbol without knowing that it was used for Underline.

I'm disappointed that the MS Mincho switch is actually a bug. I ended
up deleting MS Mincho altogether.