Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenn RJS_1

Default file/caches/Docs w/names like 1F8FE6D2do1 cant read/open

I have transferred data from old HD running win95 for friend to cd rom ON MY
MACHINE RUNNING WINXP PRO. The data transferred ok AND BURNED TO THE CD ROM,
but some of the data is in a FOLDER NAMED CACHE....THERE ARE ABOUT 100 FILES
IN IT, THE 1ST 4 HAVE NAMES THAT SAY _CACHE_001, _CACHE_002, _CACHE_003,
_CACHE___M, THEN THERE ARE ABOUT 90 OR SO WITH FILE NAMES UNDERNEATH LIKE
8DB63613do1, or 999C1A08d01 etc. I have tried clicking on may using
different ways to open, such ms word 2003, powerpoint, windows pictur and fax
viewer, adobeacrobat7.06, and most of the programs that come up in the prompt
box when you click on the particular file and click on OPEN WITH....I have
found one that opened with pix and fax viewer that is a picture....is there
something I am doing wrong, or must I go thru this time consuming procedure
with each and every file? I have already spent several hours and am getting
really frustrated. Please help someon who is simply trying to help someone
else and feeling pretty stupid....I am at my machine and am still working on
solving this problem, hoping it will not take all of my saturday night....Kenn
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Kenn

Kenn RJS_1 wrote:
[...]

What makes you think that anything in these folders is "real" data?
"Cache" usually means a temporary saving space, so this could be
anything (possibly a temp folder of any email application).

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS