Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Todd

Default FORMS - UNPROTECT PORTIONS FOR FREE-FLOW TYPING

I give up! I've done this in the past, but can't figure out how I did it and
have come to my wits end trying to find it using HELP.

I've created a form that I want to be able to tab from field to field for
user input. However, there's a section of the form with a table that I don't
want to tab through, but rather allow the user to use their mouse to move
from field to field to populate fields that are applicable.

I've done this in the past and I know you use I believe section breaks, but
can't remember how to go in and lock specific sections in the document.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

You're on the right track... First insert a section break before the
table (and another one after the table if there are more form fields
to follow).

In Word 2000 or earlier, the Tools Protect Document command opens a
dialog. Click the Forms option, and the Sections button to its right
becomes enabled. Click that, and in the resulting dialog uncheck the
section(s) that should not be protected.

In Word 2002/2003, the same command opens the Protect Document task
pane. Check the box for Editing Restrictions and choose "Filling in
forms" in the dropdown. When there are two or more sections in the
document, a hyperlink for "Select sections" appears below the
dropdown, and that leads to the same dialog where you unprotect the
appropriate section(s).

Be aware that if you're in an unprotected section sandwiched between
two protected sections, you can't tab from section to section -- you
must use the mouse.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman