Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nick Nick is offline

Default Appearance of square brackets within text

I am using Word 2003 with XP Home.

I have been working on some medium sized documents (400 to 500K) and I have found grey square brackets ([ ]) showing up in the text above where I am writing. They do not declare themselves using the show punctuation button, and I can not delete them. They do not appear on the printed output.

Probably an easy one, but I don't understand. Thanks, Nick
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

They're bookmarks. You can turn the display of them on or off in the Tools
Options View dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Nick wrote:
I am using Word 2003 with XP Home.

I have been working on some medium sized documents (400 to 500K) and
I have found grey square brackets ([ ]) showing up in the text above
where I am writing. They do not declare themselves using the show
punctuation button, and I can not delete them. They do not appear on
the printed output.

Probably an easy one, but I don't understand. Thanks, Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nick Nick is offline

Problem solved. Thanks very much.

As far as I know, I have never intentionally created any bookmarks.Is it
something that can be done accidentally?

Nick

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
They're bookmarks. You can turn the display of them on or off in the Tools
Options View dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Nick wrote:
I am using Word 2003 with XP Home.

I have been working on some medium sized documents (400 to 500K) and
I have found grey square brackets ([ ]) showing up in the text above
where I am writing. They do not declare themselves using the show
punctuation button, and I can not delete them. They do not appear on
the printed output.

Probably an easy one, but I don't understand. Thanks, Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Cross-references and tables of contents create bookmarks at the points they
refer to. That's probably where those came from.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Nick wrote:
Problem solved. Thanks very much.

As far as I know, I have never intentionally created any bookmarks.Is
it something that can be done accidentally?

Nick

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
They're bookmarks. You can turn the display of them on or off in the
Tools Options View dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Nick wrote:
I am using Word 2003 with XP Home.

I have been working on some medium sized documents (400 to 500K) and
I have found grey square brackets ([ ]) showing up in the text above
where I am writing. They do not declare themselves using the show
punctuation button, and I can not delete them. They do not appear on
the printed output.

Probably an easy one, but I don't understand. Thanks, Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm pretty sure this just toggles the display of bookmarks in that dialog,
not in the text. I just looked at a document with a TOC (and consequently
bookmarks created by Word). With that box checked and the View option
checked, I see *no* bookmarks in the document.

What is even stranger, though, is that display of bookmarks must be
per-document. I checked the View option for that specific document, checked
the display, closed the document, then went back to Options to uncheck it
and found it unchecked. Fearing that I might have clicked Cancel rather than
OK after checking the box, I reopened the document, went to Options, and
found it checked. That is, checked for that specific document and not for
any other--one more of the View Options that appear to be application-wide
that are in fact document-specific. sigh Is this made clearer in Word
2007?

Nick wrote:
I am using Word 2003 with XP Home.

I have been working on some medium sized documents (400 to 500K)

and
I have found grey square brackets ([ ]) showing up in the text

above
where I am writing. They do not declare themselves using the show
punctuation button, and I can not delete them. They do not appear

on
the printed output.

Probably an easy one, but I don't understand. Thanks, Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

But the bookmarks Word creates are always "hidden" and don't show the
brackets.

Not necessarily.

For some strange reason Word sometimes creates bookmarks with names like
'OLE_LINK1' etc, when text is merely copied & pasted. It also does this by
design if text is copied and pasted as a link. These bookmarks show up in
the normal way.

If Word has created any 'OLE_LINK' bookmarks that shouldn't be there,
deleting them won't do any harm.

Cheers
--
macropod