Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Default Find and Replace

Is there a way to indicate a backspace in the Replace dialog box?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

No, there isn't, because a backspace isn't a character.

Tell us what you're trying to accomplish, and probably we can tell you how
to do it. The answer may involve a wildcard search
(http://gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Island Girl" wrote in message
Is there a way to indicate a backspace in the Replace dialog box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

No. What are you trying to accomplish? There may be another way.

"Island Girl" wrote in message
Is there a way to indicate a backspace in the Replace dialog box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, actually backspace is a character in the sense that it has an ASCII
code (though I've forgotten what it is). I wonder if it would be possible to
enter it as an ASCII symbol.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
No, there isn't, because a backspace isn't a character.

Tell us what you're trying to accomplish, and probably we can tell you how
to do it. The answer may involve a wildcard search
(http://gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Island Girl" wrote in message
Is there a way to indicate a backspace in the Replace dialog box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

To tell you the truth, it was an instance that occurred last week in which I
thought I needed a backspace in the Replace box and I made a note to ask you
wonderful people how to do it. To save my life, I can't think of what the
situation was right now--all I seem to remember now is the note to ask you.
I will look back over things and get back with you. You will probably be
able to show me another way. More later.

"Island Girl" wrote:

Is there a way to indicate a backspace in the Replace dialog box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

ASCII 8 (he says, consulting his DOS QBASIC handbook! -- glad I didn't throw
it away)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Well, actually backspace is a character in the sense that it has an ASCII
code (though I've forgotten what it is). I wonder if it would be possible
enter it as an ASCII symbol.

so
all may benefit.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
No, there isn't, because a backspace isn't a character.

Tell us what you're trying to accomplish, and probably we can tell you
how
to do it. The answer may involve a wildcard search
(http://gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Island Girl" wrote in message
Is there a way to indicate a backspace in the Replace dialog box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, if I'd had time, I could have looked it up in an old printer manual,
too. g

"aalaan" wrote in message
ASCII 8 (he says, consulting his DOS QBASIC handbook! -- glad I didn't

throw
it away)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Well, actually backspace is a character in the sense that it has an

ASCII
code (though I've forgotten what it is). I wonder if it would be

possible
enter it as an ASCII symbol.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
No, there isn't, because a backspace isn't a character.

Tell us what you're trying to accomplish, and probably we can tell you
how
to do it. The answer may involve a wildcard search
(http://gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Island Girl" wrote in message
Is there a way to indicate a backspace in the Replace dialog box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Maybe I should have said that the backspace *function* is not a
character. Yes, there's a backspace character with ASCII value 8. If
you click to the right of a letter and type Alt+008, it will have the
same effect as pressing the backspace key, deleting the character to
the left. But if you try to use ^08 or ^008 in the Replace dialog, you
just get a "no glyph" square box in place of whatever was in the Find
box.

If the intention is to delete the character to the left of the Find
expression, I think that can be done with a wildcard expression.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:37:13 +1100, "aalaan"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

That was not I, Suzanne.

And I'm still trying to piece together the situation in which I thought I
needed a backspace. I do remember, though, that there was an automatic
number and tab involved in it somewhere.

"Island Girl" wrote:

Is there a way to indicate a backspace in the Replace dialog box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In case it helps, you don't have to have a tab after an automatic number:
Word gives you a choice of tab, space, or nothing.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Were you the one who was trying to get an AutoCorrect entry to back up

after
replacing text?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.