Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Default Slow document opening.

We print labels, eight per A4 sheet.

We designed these in Word2003 and used the
table tool to make 8 x labels, each 102 x
74mm.

This has worked well for a long time, but
suddenly the faint dotted line indicating the
table cells has disappeared from the screen,
and the documents take a long time to open -
about five times as long as before.

However any new table we make is OK.

How can we fix the old ones which number in
the 100s.

Please help, Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

For the gridlines issue - table show gridlines.
There can be amny reasons for the slow opening, but the old favourite is
Norton AV's office plug-in. Turn it off.

Frank Martin wrote:
We print labels, eight per A4 sheet.

We designed these in Word2003 and used the
table tool to make 8 x labels, each 102 x
74mm.

This has worked well for a long time, but
suddenly the faint dotted line indicating the
table cells has disappeared from the screen,
and the documents take a long time to open -
about five times as long as before.

However any new table we make is OK.

How can we fix the old ones which number in
the 100s.

Please help, Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Thanks, the "show gridlines"
fixed it, though I wonder how they
disappeared in the first place.

The opening is faster now that I have
installed "Diskeeper" auto-defragmenter
program which constantly defrages in the
background.

Regards, Frank