Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Len@LGrossman.com is offline

Default Change .wbk directory?

Is it possible in Word 2000 and later editions to change the directory
where automatic backups are saved on saving of the next version of a
document?

I know it used to be possible from Tools/options/file locations/ but
backup directory no longer appears.

If so how?

Thanks,

Len

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Len@LGrossman.com is offline

You are right.. I was thinking of WordPerfect.

Anyway, I tried your "save in two directories" macro and it works
well. Thanks,

What would be really nice is to add another couple of lines that would
then delete the newly created .wbk file from the directory from which
the macro was invoked. Then that directory would remain free of .wbks

In the meantime, I have put the new backup directory in an entirely
different path so I can periodically do a search in my docs directory
and all subdirectories for *.wbks and delete them all at once.

Thanks again.

Len

wrote:
Is it possible in Word 2000 and later editions to change the directory
where automatic backups are saved on saving of the next version of a
document?

I know it used to be possible from Tools/options/file locations/ but
backup directory no longer appears.

If so how?

Thanks,

Len

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the save in 2 directories accomplishes what you want, then turnoff the
Word Backup option and the wbks will not be created.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

ups.com...

wrote:
Is it possible in Word 2000 and later editions to change the directory
where automatic backups are saved on saving of the next version of a
document?

I know it used to be possible from Tools/options/file locations/ but
backup directory no longer appears.

If so how?

Thanks,

Len

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Len@LGrossman.com is offline

Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I want is to ultimately have only the
latest document in the active folder and the previous draft (.wbk) in
another. So I want the backup. I just want it somewhere else.

The macro described earlier in this thread lets me save the new version
and a .wbk in the active folder and the .wbk in a second folder. I
want to expand the macro to remove that surpuflous .wbk from the active
directory -- all in one macro.

Len

wrote:
If the save in 2 directories accomplishes what you want, then turnoff the
Word Backup option and the wbks will not be created.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

ups.com...

wrote:
Is it possible in Word 2000 and later editions to change the directory
where automatic backups are saved on saving of the next version of a
document?

I know it used to be possible from Tools/options/file locations/ but
backup directory no longer appears.

If so how?

Thanks,

Len

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Modemjunkie Modemjunkie is offline

Sorry, the macro was referred to in a similar thread in
microsoft.public.word.docmanagment.

Len

wrote:
If the save in 2 directories accomplishes what you want, then turnoff the
Word Backup option and the wbks will not be created.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

ups.com...

wrote:
Is it possible in Word 2000 and later editions to change the directory
where automatic backups are saved on saving of the next version of a
document?

I know it used to be possible from Tools/options/file locations/ but
backup directory no longer appears.

If so how?

Thanks,

Len

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word will not do that - the WBK file goes in the same folder as the
document. The nearest is the solution I posted earlier.

wrote:
If the save in 2 directories accomplishes what you want, then
turnoff the Word Backup option and the wbks will not be created.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

ups.com...