Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
T5 T5 is offline

Default syncing or backing up a document

My wife is writing a book and I was wondering if there is a quick and easy
way to backup or sync the document when she has finished typing. I would
like to make a backup copy to an external HDD so that I always have an upto
date copy if anything should go wrong

office 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

I wrote a macro to do just that from the Word toolbar.
I am a total beginner but this is what works for me in Word 2000 (drive F:
happens to be my memory stick)
This saves the current document to both the main drive and my memory stick
(which I use as a backup). I also wrote another macro to save periodically
to a CD (drive D: for me) and timestamp it as well, so that I could roll
back if a document became corrupted at any stage.

Dim strFileA, strFileB
ActiveDocument.Save
strFileA = ActiveDocument.Name
ActiveDocument.Close
strFileB = "F:\edit backups\" & strFileA
FileSystem.FileCopy strFileA, strFileB 'overwrite by default
End Sub

"T5" wrote in message
My wife is writing a book and I was wondering if there is a quick and easy
way to backup or sync the document when she has finished typing. I would
like to make a backup copy to an external HDD so that I always have an
upto date copy if anything should go wrong

office 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

I should mention that I have already created a folder on F: called edit
backups. The name of the folder is of course unimportant but whatever name
is used to create the folder must of course be exactly the same in the
Macro.