Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Default Word Styles - Change ALL at once?

Greetings,
Thanks to Suzanne's help and pointers, I have a grasp of updating styles.
First I learned basics of styles.. then of changing them... coolness!

Now comes the fun... I have about 30 styles outlined in a template I
created (none of them are the 'usual' names like 'Normal" and "Table Grid"
and the like).

I've been asked to change ALL fonts that are Arial Narrow to Arial and all
that are 11 point to 12 point.
I can highlight/right-click/modify/automatically update & add to template,
but it got me thinking:
Can I do a "Find and Replace" type action on STYLES so that all of my styles
go from 11 point Arial Narrow to 12 point Arial?

If I do find/replace in the document, I end up with new styles that have
"+12" and "+Arial" in their names. But now even my updated template won't
be of help, as they're all new names.

So, is there a way to do a global "12-point Arial" swap?

Thanks,
Shane

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The following macro changes all paragraph styles set to 11 pt Arial
Narrow to 12 pt Arial and copies the styles to the attached template:

Sub ModifySomeStyles()
Dim counter As Long
Dim s As Style
For Each s In ActiveDocument.Styles
If s.Type = wdStyleTypeParagraph Then
If s.Font.Name = "Arial Narrow" And s.Font.Size = 11 Then
s.Font.Name = "Arial"
s.Font.Size = 12

'Delete the following 6 lines...
Application.OrganizerCopy _
Source:=ActiveDocument.FullName _
, Destination:=ActiveDocument _
.AttachedTemplate.FullName _
, Name:=s.NameLocal _
, Object:=wdOrganizerObjectStyles
'... if you don't want to copy to template

counter = counter + 1
End If
End If
Next s
MsgBox "Modified " & counter & " styles."

End Sub

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Ooo.. macros, cooooool... heh.. I've used a macro in Excel, but never
considered it in Word.

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Shane

"SV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

When you're testing, do so on a copy of the original document (just in
case).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Suzanne,
Hmm... my first thought was "nope, I have 30 styles" but got to thinking...
when I create a style there is a "based on" field, isn't there?

This is interesting...
I create a style, ME_Normal that's Arial, 12 pt, Regular, indented at 0.5"
with no hanging, left-justified. I create other styles based on that one,
like ME_Centered, ME_Right, and, say, ME_Indent1 (the only thing I've
changed to make those are justification and indenting)... then, if I change
ME_Normal to Algerian, 15 pt, Bold... all the rest will be Algerian, 15 pt,
Bold.

Sound close?

Shane

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
IF all the Arial Narrow styles are based on the same style, you could
probably get away with changing the font in the base style.

so
all may benefit.

"SV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, what isn't explicitly changed in the new style will come from
the "parent." See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...esCascade.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SV" wrote in message ...
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"SV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Stefan,
Ah, Shauna Kelly to the rescue again... gotta love the MVPs!

I'll check it out, pronto. Maybe even learn how to get rid of the extraneous
style attributes I managed to add somehow. :-)

"SV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Side note: When I set up templates where I expect to change the font, I
use a separate style for the base font, e.g. BaseFont. Then I base all
styles on BaseFont, but I don't apply BaseFont to any text.

This prevents the chance that I will accidentally cascade a setting I
don't want propagated to the other styles, as I tend to change my style
definitions around.

"SV" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Neil T Neil T is offline

SV wrote:
Suzanne,
Hmm... my first thought was "nope, I have 30 styles" but got to thinking...
when I create a style there is a "based on" field, isn't there?

This is interesting...
I create a style, ME_Normal that's Arial, 12 pt, Regular, indented at 0.5"
with no hanging, left-justified. I create other styles based on that one,
like ME_Centered, ME_Right, and, say, ME_Indent1 (the only thing I've
changed to make those are justification and indenting)... then, if I change
ME_Normal to Algerian, 15 pt, Bold... all the rest will be Algerian, 15 pt,
Bold.

Sound close?

Shane

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

IF all the Arial Narrow styles are based on the same style, you could
probably get away with changing the font in the base style.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.

"SV" wrote in message

[...]

Shane- Hide quoted text -

This got me thinking about an annoying problem I have when changing
heading styles. Is there an easy way to change the font of the
numbering other than going through each heading style? It's easy to
change the text font from TR to Arial but a pain to go through each
numbering level individually.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This is especially helpful if you want to eliminate all instances of Normal
style from the document. If none of the styles are based on Normal, then you
can change the font color of Normal to, say, bright purple and easily pick
out the sore thumbs. g

oups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Neil

This is a tedious little problem.

When you first start a document, and create modify a style to add numbering
(eg number the built-in heading styles), then the font of the number is
(quite reasonably) the font of the underlying paragraph. So there's some
kind of built-in association between the font of the paragraph and the font
of its numbering.

If you have the temerity to change the font of the numbering in any way,
then Word disassociates the fonts. So, let's say Heading 1 starts out as
18pt. So its numbering is 18pt. You change the numbering to be italic or
pink or 20pt or underlined, or just look too closely at the Font dialog box.
Now, you change Heading 1 to be 16pt, but the numbering will still be 18pt,
and the only way to fix it is by modifying the numbering of the style and
using the Font button.

It frustrates me, too!

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.