Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Mc Mary Mc is offline

Default Retain headers and footers when inserting files

Hi,
I'm very familiar with the use of headers and footers, different first page,
multiple sections, linking and unlinking etc. so I don't need the basics.

I am trying to programmatically (by macro) insert a fax cover sheet into
documents (letters or pleadings). Fax and document(s) have their own
header/footer (though some may be blank) with different first page.

What ever I do doesn't work. Examples a

Pasted the doc into the fax cover;
Inserted the fax cover into the doc;
Even created a new doc with the fax cover, then created a second section
with two pages and disconnected the header/footer links, then inserted the
doc.
No matter what, a header and/or footer format gets lost or the 1st page
footer from the fax cover becomes the 2nd page footer of the document and so
on.

The next test I'm going to try is to (with a macro) capture the text from
the first and other header and footer in the doc into variables, insert the
fax cover, then open each of the 4 headers/footers in the doc portion, remove
the links and paste back in what they had in the first place... Unless
someone has another idea.

--
Mary Mc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

For help with the code, you'd better ask in a programming newsgroup.
But for an explanation of what happens when you paste or insert data
that includes section one or more section breaks, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mary Mc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Mc Mary Mc is offline

Thank you, Stefan! You saved me hours. I would have eventually gotten to
those solutions, but I would have fought it the whole way and pretended
"surely I don't have to do 'that'!?" Convoluted as the solution is (when you
want to remove that extra section break), it makes sense with how Word works.
Just gotta do it... Thank you again!
--
Mary Mc

"Mary Mc" wrote in message
[...]