Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
milind milind is offline

Default To Suzanne S Barnhill

auHello
You have helped me a lot earlier, now I need some more.
I am working on around 4-500 files and hence using Styles. I asked this
question in recent past and everyone directed me to read lot of files, still
no solution. I would be happy if you could answer these:
A style used for numbering, does not allow me to start renumbering after a
couple of paras/pages. Every time I need to create a new style. Is this
curable?
Meanings of three check boxes: two in Modify Style=add to template, update
automatically and one in Tools, templates & addins=automatically update
document styles.
I have done around 30 files, same template, different styles added each time
for different files. Later when files are opened will Word remember all the
formatting?
It's a tall order but if I don't get answers I might have to close Word
forever.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Restarting numbering is best handled by using outline numbering (with a
dummy unnumbered style for restarting, if necessary); see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...artMethods.htm

The "Add to template" check box, when checked, tells Word to write the style
modification back to the template on which the document is based; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

The "Update automatically" check box, when checked, tells Word to update the
given style every time you make a change in any paragraph to which the style
is applied. So if, for example, you select a Heading 1 paragraph and change
the point size, that change is made to the style itself, and all paragraphs
in this style are updated. That can be handy when you are in the process of
defining styles and making changes frequently but should be avoided after
you've settled on a style definition, so that you can occasionally apply
direct formatting to a paragraph without having it propagated to all other
paragraphs in the style.

The "Automatically update document styles" box in the Templates and Add-ins
dialog, when checked, tells Word to update the style in the document based
on the (perhaps newly updated) styles in the template. If you attach a new
template or reattach the old one, you may want to check this box initially,
but you probably want to clear it after one update so that you can make
needed changes in the document styles or formatting without having them
updated from the template every time you open the document. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html