Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JU-Vista JU-Vista is offline

Default Viewing .mdi files in Office 2007

I have Office 2007 - when i try to view .MDI files my computer didn't know
what to do.

After following the instructions on this tutorial:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926198

I have realised that I accidentally told Windows to "open all .mdi files
with Microsoft Word 2007", by selecting it from that popup that comes up when
you try to open a file that windows doesn't recognise.

Now it continues opening up in Word despite me having enabled the image
viewer by the instructions given in the above tutorial. I need to know how to
either:

1) de-associate word with .mdi files, or
2) which program is meant to be opening .mdi files so that i can select it.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JU-Vista JU-Vista is offline

Nevermind, it is found in:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MODI\12.0\"

I found this using Vista's inept search tool which relies on ARCHIVING
(which I don't even WANT by the way).

What ever happened to the good old days :'(

----------------

"JU-Vista" wrote:

I have Office 2007 - when i try to view .MDI files my computer didn't know
what to do.

After following the instructions on this tutorial:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926198

I have realised that I accidentally told Windows to "open all .mdi files
with Microsoft Word 2007", by selecting it from that popup that comes up when
you try to open a file that windows doesn't recognise.

Now it continues opening up in Word despite me having enabled the image
viewer by the instructions given in the above tutorial. I need to know how to
either:

1) de-associate word with .mdi files, or
2) which program is meant to be opening .mdi files so that i can select it.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Windows Explorer, display a folder that contains an .mdi file.
Right-click on it, and choose Open With. In the listed programs, click on
Microsoft Office Document Imaging, tick "Always use the selected probgram to
open this kind of file", then click OK.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"JU-Vista" wrote in message
I have Office 2007 - when i try to view .MDI files my computer didn't know
what to do.

After following the instructions on this tutorial:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926198

I have realised that I accidentally told Windows to "open all .mdi files
with Microsoft Word 2007", by selecting it from that popup that comes up
when
you try to open a file that windows doesn't recognise.

Now it continues opening up in Word despite me having enabled the image
viewer by the instructions given in the above tutorial. I need to know how
either:

1) de-associate word with .mdi files, or
2) which program is meant to be opening .mdi files so that i can select
it.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

MDI files are associated with Microsoft Document Imaging - however this is
not installed by default, so if you want to use it and you have not already
installed it, you will need to re-run Office setup.

JU-Vista wrote:
I have Office 2007 - when i try to view .MDI files my computer didn't
know what to do.

After following the instructions on this tutorial:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926198

I have realised that I accidentally told Windows to "open all .mdi
files with Microsoft Word 2007", by selecting it from that popup that
comes up when you try to open a file that windows doesn't recognise.

Now it continues opening up in Word despite me having enabled the
image viewer by the instructions given in the above tutorial. I need
to know how to either:

1) de-associate word with .mdi files, or
2) which program is meant to be opening .mdi files so that i can
select it.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JU-Vista JU-Vista is offline

Incorrect Herb,

The "always use the selected..." checkbox was permanently disabled (shaded),
and the "Microsoft Office Document Imaging" program was not an option in the
list!

But I fixed it anyway, thanks.