Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lynn Lynn is offline

Default Urgent: TOC - 2 problems: TOC 1 with Heading 1; numbering Heading

I am at a loss. I used someone elses template to generate my own template in
MSWord. I created headings, e.g. Level 1 Title (for Heading 1), Level 2 Title
(for Heading 2), etc., but the TOC states TOC2 for Level 1; TOC3 for Level 2,
etc. How do I change it. I tried editing the style and looks good, but when I
update the TOC, it reverts back to the old problem.

The other problem is auto numbering the Headings. If the Heading is 1.0,
then next should be 1.1, then 1.1.1, etc.; then 2.0, 2.1, 2.1.1, etc. The
problem is that when it gets to the 2nd heading it numbers 2.0, 1.1, 1.2,
etc. It doesn't change to 2.1, 2.1.1, etc. I tried modifiying the number,
resetting to original settings, etc., to no avail.

Help!!! I am in an urgent need for assistance.
--
Thank you,

Lynn
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Moet Moet is offline

Lynn
It is not simple to relay how to do this, I found it very complicated at
first and it has taken me ages to sort this out. I'm still struggling with
2007. However, the numbering system is a style and these styles are connected
to your headings and these headings are then connected to your TOC. You need
to find the numbering system style and then assign you heading styles to the
different numbering levels, (select restart number after the appropriate
level to fix your numbering problem). Then recreate your TOC. Oh, you must
also ensure that you have used the styles to create the headings in the first
place otherwise you will end up with the same problem. Good luck
--
Moet

"Lynn" wrote:

I am at a loss. I used someone elses template to generate my own template in
MSWord. I created headings, e.g. Level 1 Title (for Heading 1), Level 2 Title
(for Heading 2), etc., but the TOC states TOC2 for Level 1; TOC3 for Level 2,
etc. How do I change it. I tried editing the style and looks good, but when I
update the TOC, it reverts back to the old problem.

The other problem is auto numbering the Headings. If the Heading is 1.0,
then next should be 1.1, then 1.1.1, etc.; then 2.0, 2.1, 2.1.1, etc. The
problem is that when it gets to the 2nd heading it numbers 2.0, 1.1, 1.2,
etc. It doesn't change to 2.1, 2.1.1, etc. I tried modifiying the number,
resetting to original settings, etc., to no avail.

Help!!! I am in an urgent need for assistance.
--
Thank you,

Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Make sure that Level 2 numbering is set to include the Level 1 numbering
(the first 1 in the "number format" box should be a field representing Level
1). For instructions on setting up outline numbering correctly, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html (the only
way in which your numbering scheme departs from the standard 1, 1.1, 1.1.1
is in the addition of 0 to the first level).

You may need to examine the TOC field to see why Level 1 is being mapped to
TOC 2. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

"Lynn" .(donotspam) wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lynn Lynn is offline

Default Urgent: TOC - 2 problems: TOC 1 with Heading 1; numbering Hea

Thank you for yoru response. I review your suggestions and let you know how I
do.
--
Thank you,

Lynn

"Lynn" wrote:

I am at a loss. I used someone elses template to generate my own template in
MSWord. I created headings, e.g. Level 1 Title (for Heading 1), Level 2 Title
(for Heading 2), etc., but the TOC states TOC2 for Level 1; TOC3 for Level 2,
etc. How do I change it. I tried editing the style and looks good, but when I
update the TOC, it reverts back to the old problem.

The other problem is auto numbering the Headings. If the Heading is 1.0,
then next should be 1.1, then 1.1.1, etc.; then 2.0, 2.1, 2.1.1, etc. The
problem is that when it gets to the 2nd heading it numbers 2.0, 1.1, 1.2,
etc. It doesn't change to 2.1, 2.1.1, etc. I tried modifiying the number,
resetting to original settings, etc., to no avail.

Help!!! I am in an urgent need for assistance.
--
Thank you,

Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lynn Lynn is offline

Thank you for your quick response. I will review the links that you provided
to me and see how I do. I will let you know if successful or not.
--
Thank you,

Lynn